Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Dan's Survey of Deep Space Nine (Page 5)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Dan's Survey of Deep Space Nine
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Liam. It's okay to fix things magically, but only if you pay for it. Sheridan and Spock returning from the dead being the best examples that come to mind.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
B5 wasn't about one bad guy, it was about the overall struggle of good vs evil, light vs dark, etc

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Light vs dark" should be banned from ever appearing on television from now until the rest of time. Honestly, even turning on a light is pushing things.

And the whole point of the Shadows/Vorlon thing was that it WASN'T good/evil or light/dark or butter/marmalade...it was about parents not letting their children grow up. And maybe, at a push, chaos/control. But the parent thing. Boo.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of light, dude, did we like ever find out who gave Gary Hobson the newspaper a day early? And did like, did they off Chuck?

That dude totally had like the newspaper a day early. He could totally ask to buy things from the classifieds way before the dude even like was going to sell it.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Does it count as Deus Ex Machina if there is some sort of counter balance? I suppose, technically, it is, but I always take the stereotypically bad DEM to be "oh, everything's been fixed, carry on with no repurcussions".

aka reset button - aka Star Trek: Voyager?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

And the whole point of the Shadows/Vorlon thing was that it WASN'T good/evil or light/dark or butter/marmalade...it was about parents not letting their children grow up. And maybe, at a push, chaos/control.

No, the KAOS/CONTROL thing was much, much funnier. [Wink]
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Speaking of light, dude, did we like ever find out who gave Gary Hobson the newspaper a day early?"

Probably Captain Braxton, when he wasn't busy coordinating Sam Becket's time leaps or planting invisible bombs.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by machf:
quote:

And the whole point of the Shadows/Vorlon thing was that it WASN'T good/evil or light/dark or butter/marmalade...it was about parents not letting their children grow up. And maybe, at a push, chaos/control.

No, the KAOS/CONTROL thing was much, much funnier. [Wink]
Yeah, he missed a bad pun....by that much.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
I agree with Liam. It's okay to fix things magically, but only if you pay for it. Sheridan and Spock returning from the dead being the best examples that come to mind.

Pay for it?
Sheridan beats the Vorlons/Shadows/Earthgov/Soul Suckas/Third Space aliens/Drakh (probably) and became president of the Federation (you know it's the same damn thing).
So I think he could've "paid for it" either a lot more or a lot sooner.

Spock got his brain scrambled a bit for two whole movies before he was his old self....and then lived to a ripe old age of forever.
He paid for squat.
If you mean David's death, that's silly. David paid for his botching the Genesis project (I wonder if Kirk ever bothered to tell carol?).
Biiiiig deal.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"So I think he could've 'paid for it' either a lot more or a lot sooner."

Well, he had his lifespan shortened by probably thrity years or so (or more; I'm not sure how long humans generally live in the B5 future). Plus he had to live the rest of his life knowing just how long he had left. I mean, sure, maybe he could've died immediately, or been forced to watch Delenn be blown up in slow motion, or something. But he still didn't get off scot-free.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

He got off a lot cheaper than Marcus did though.
Or Sheridan's lobotomized wife.
Or Londo the puppett.
Or poor beheaded Mr, Morden for that matter.

He really should'nt bitch: he was saved by bullshit luck on at least five or six occasions after he *somehow* escaped a nuclear blast and a fall through (again- they never even attempted to explain) the Shadow's planet.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wildly off topic, but, uh, having a crazy old transcendent lifeform at the bottom of the well who's willing to save you provided you listen to some dime-store musings on the nature of time doesn't count as an explanation?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"Or poor beheaded Mr, Morden for that matter."

Okay, but, he was a bit of an asshole, so he kinda had it coming.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Marcus didn't "pay" for anything. He just sacrificed himself so that his One True Love™ might live. It was Ivanova who payed for not trusting him sooner.

Londo, however, payed for involving himself with the Shadows by having a bug placed on his shoulder by their lackies and living the last 15 years of his life as a marionette, even though he had redeemed himself for all of it. He was the show's tragic figure for a reason, you know.

Morden payed for being the Shadows' bitch by having his head adorn a Centauri palace garden. Boo.

Anna, finally, payed for refusing to serve the Shadows by having her brain rewired for use in a Shadow Battlecrab and then dying horribly in an explosion set off by none other than her former hubbie.

So I don't know if Sheridan got off as lightly as everyone thinks. I mean, he wasn't evil, he wasn't an asshole, he had no comeuppance due from anyone, he was just an all-around nice guy who was in the wrong place at the wrong time and had his lifespan cut in half for it. That's not cheap in my book.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Not cheap no....but how many times over would he-or anyone- have sacrificed their whole life to pull off some of the stunts he managed?

His planting (completely solo!) a nuke inside the thirdspace alien ship's interior and (somehow) outrunning the blast's area of effect was implusable enough, but when Ivovonna calls him on the suit's radio, he's not even breathing hard!

Mabye Lorien did a little "Rewiring" of his own on ol' Johnnie. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps