Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Dan's Survey of Deep Space Nine (Page 7)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Dan's Survey of Deep Space Nine
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not knowing the meaning of "rhetorical": Moses was held back from Canaan for striking a rock (which then split open and became a spring) rather than simply waving his staff over it as he was instructed.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God's a stickler for instructions.
Pretty anal of him.

I dont even look at instructions on electronics or model kits.
Think that'll count against me?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, when some guy touched the Ark of the Covenant (accidentally, I seem to recall), Yahweh killed his ass with a lightning bolt. So, yeah, you may be in trouble.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oy! Again with the Nazis....

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not knowing the meaning of "rhetorical": Moses was held back from Canaan for striking a rock (which then split open and became a spring) rather than simply waving his staff over it as he was instructed.

He was instructed to talk to the rock, and instead struck it twice. It's also arguable that the actual problem with what he did was telling the people, "You keep whining! Must _I_ now bring forth water from this rock?" or words to that effect. Claiming credit == bad.

As for the guy touching the ark to keep it from falling, they were transporting the ark in an unacceptable manner in the first place, from what I recall.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moses herad voices that told him to talk to rocks.
Rocks.
So Moses hit the rock twice and queered the deal for the promised land.

There was no promised land for Moses or his followers because he and they were crazy as fuck.

Man, the middle-East sure brews some zealotry.

NOW comes the lightning, I should think. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now comes the whole fucking biblical armageddon. B)
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Actually, his disobeying orders and stealing the ship allowed him to both command the original one last time and get command (just a short time later for him) of another- new version- of his old Enterprise.

My point was that Spock did not pay for being returned to life.

But Spock didn't ask for this to happen. Kirk and co. did it, for him and for McCoy.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

It's still silly nad with almost zero reprecusions for the main cast: there would have been no place for David's character in future movies anyway.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Specifically, the zapped in question was reaching out to steady the Ark after the cart it was on hit a bump. (Demonstrating, so the story intends us to understand, a lack of faith in the ability of God to handle his own affairs.)
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
It isn't just David's death that may be looked on as "payment" for Spock's resurrection, it's also the destruction of the Enterprise. Remember, that ship was Kirk's one true love, and he sacrificed first his future command of her and ultimately the the old girl herself for his friend.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

Or...

Spock sacrificed himself to save the Enterprise and its crew.
Kirk sacrificed his career to recover Spock.
Kirks son sacrificed himself to save Spock.
Kirk sacrificed the Enterprise to save his crew.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

So three of four possible sacrifices are just bullshit two movies later.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Specifically, the zapped in question was reaching out to steady the Ark after the cart it was on hit a bump. (Demonstrating, so the story intends us to understand, a lack of faith in the ability of God to handle his own affairs.)

So God wont take a helping hand for his box of rocks from the faithful?

Add "control freak" to his list of neurosis.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
It's still silly nad with almost zero reprecusions for the main cast: there would have been no place for David's character in future movies anyway.

Yes, but in the context of this universe, Kirk didn't lose a "potentially recurring character. He lost his son. And that did have repurcussions in STVI.

David's death and the Enterprise's destruction were punishment for what he did. The Enterprise-A was reward for the crew selflessly risking their own lives to save Earth. It's a seperate thing, really.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Specifically, the zapped in question was reaching out to steady the Ark after the cart it was on hit a bump. (Demonstrating, so the story intends us to understand, a lack of faith in the ability of God to handle his own affairs.)"

So, doesn't that pretty well negate a lot of the laws set down in the same texts? I mean, surely Yahweh could find his own animals to slaughter, burn, and sniff at, rather than needing people to sacrifice them.

Also, if the guy had let the ark fall over, Yahweh probably would have zapped them all for allowing his precious box get jostled. So he was probably screwed from the start.

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps