Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The $poiler-$trewn $tar Trek Movie Rumour Di$cu$$ion Thread (Did I mention $poiler$?) (Page 11)

This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  36  37  38   
Author Topic: The $poiler-$trewn $tar Trek Movie Rumour Di$cu$$ion Thread (Did I mention $poiler$?)
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pensive's Wetness:
someone clicky a pic from 'A Mirror, Darkly', the one showing the skematic of the engineering and Nacelles. pretty sure that pic alone will prove it's cannon that engineering was mostly in the Secondary Hull...

Yes, it has certainly been retconned within the fictional context of the show(s). But that wasn't the context of the discussion at hand. I was responding to the comments made about the Saladin/Hermes design being weak, nonsensical, or otherwise poorly conceived. At the time, given what was established and intended by the makers of TOS and TAS, it and the other FJ designs made perfect sense and were (IMO) quite elegant. That's all I was getting at.

And it's canon, BTW. [Wink]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they get hazard pay...

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shikaru808:
I still feel bad for the poor schmucks who have to work in the neck of the Connie's...

I dont see how anything useful can be in the neck from a crew useage perspective: you put a corridor down the center and you'd have very little space left for offices or whatnot, not to mention all the conduits and such needed to run between primary and secondary hulls.

Which is why the saladin is so poor a design- if there was say Engineering crammed down there, why the exact same external look as the Connie? why the windows on the neck?
In fact, all the details are just cut-n-paste from the Connie- even the nacelle has it's vents only one side (as though the nacelle was surplus from some wrecked Connie).

The design could probably be made plausable by someone of Rev or Masao's caliber- thicken the primary hull, re-design the "neck", change the window plavements a bit, add a second vent thingie on the nacelle's other side to balance the design, etc.

I've seen an intresting version with a long shuttlebay extending from the bridge to just fore of the "impulse strip".

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
didn't JF originally do the art for his kids? it was when the family was fuckng around that GR did his apeshit nacelle Bull shit.... that presumes JF didn't think through certain aspects we now question (such as Main Engineering was in the secondary hull as opposed to being in the impulse section, as implied by watching TOS back in the day) again, RETCON started with TMP in more ways than one...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Teh PW
Member # 1203

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
...add a second vent thingie on the nacelle's other side to balance the design, etc.[/QB]

why two? better yet? the vent facing down away the main hull hull, the two coils in the back on the horizontal line 90 degrees from each side of that vent... that leaves both sides availible for the hull number and SF strip...

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, exactly- anything but a Connie's left nacelle.
I'd probably make the vents half the length of those on the Connie, have them facing "down" and use the extra area for a pennant/registry on both sides.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://trekmovie.com/2008/07/17/preview-of-star-trek-comic-posters-with-first-cast-photos/

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, I like. The arrowhead in the eyes is a little naff, but I'm surprised at how much I like the look of Nero. The tattoo looks pretty cool, the lack of bumpy headness makes sense and the bitten off ear is really hard core.

Also, it's hard to tell, but if Spock is wearing the new uniform, then it look a lot like the original.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In theory, the uniforms should look like the ones in the The Cage right? The TOS blue/gold/red combo wouldn't come into style until years later. Or are they retconning that?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't mind personally if they quietly forgot about the Cage uniforms. Besides, the regular series uniforms are practically iconic and what the general public recognizes, so they be fools not to go with that.

I dunno about the Chris Pine/Kirk poster. For some reason he looks way too much like Ryan Reynolds in that pose.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In theory, the uniforms should look like the ones in the The Cage right? The TOS blue/gold/red combo wouldn't come into style until years later. Or are they retconning that?
The movie takes place at several different points in history, so it's possible that we'll see the original "Cage" uniforms too.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, technically, shouldn't any Academy scenes have uniforms that look like the shiny silver number that Finnegan wore in "Shore Leave"?
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris Pine has oddly pointy eyebrows. At first I thought I was looking at Spock. This Nero fellow doesn't look all that Romulan. Perhaps the missing ear is a battle injury or something, but the tattoos look cool. Still, looks like this movie is starting to grow on me. I can't wait to see the new ( hopefully somewhat old) Enterprise.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Teh PW
Member # 1203

... growls quietly Interesting...

--------------------

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm. Zachary Quinto at least *looks* like Spock in that picture, far more than I was expecting. Zoƫ Saldana looks nothing at all like Uhura, though. She also doesn't seem to be wearing her hair the way Uhura did.
  This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  36  37  38   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps