Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "Unseen frontier" (Page 8)

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  24  25  26   
Author Topic: "Unseen frontier"
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or that Amisov was already a very famous Starfleet captain without having to battle the Borg and the name stood out to Janeway.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, now I just need 15 or 20 people with Starfleet uniforms to play the stunned survivors of the Endeavour, a few Next Gen corridors and a LOT of carbon scoring so I can take some pictures for the book...

Mojo

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*volunteers*

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I volunteer to burn the stuff you need to create the carbon scoring.

Anyway Mojo, you can obviously see that Wolf 359 is an extremely hot topic amongst tech-heads. You could arguably say that more analysis has been put into this battle than any other fight in all of Trek history. The whole Endeavour thing will likely cause some people concern no matter how you portray it, since there are as many people want to believe she was at Wolf 359 as there are people who don't - so I say press on with whatever you have in mind. Personally, I'm with the latter camp, as lost-cause battles tend to be more poignant for me.

Regardless, there's more than half of the fleet at Wolf 359 unaccounted for - any photo essays could easily be about any of those ships. And hey, if one of them is called the USS Nguyen, I'd be plenty happy.

Mark <--- There's an emperor named Nguyen, you know

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget a beautiful space shot of the ship burning in space!

I like Sol System's vision of small, dirty ships/shuttles picking up the survivors. Maybe (assuming the Endeavour is the survivor) the crippled ship was used as a temporary base for rescue ops while the crew was getting decent engine power back up. While some parts of the surviving crew are repairing the ship systems, others are going out to pick up other survivors, such as from the Saratoga, with shuttles and other small craft.

It'd be a neat picture. A small shuttle bring back survivors is in the foreground flying over the wrecked Endeavour (sparks and all). In the background and in the reflection of the shuttle windows, the burning hulls of the other ships can be seen.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo: I didn't notice your question about Fed/Klingon history until now. I've been working on an article on just this topic for my website and have found there are precious few established events during this time. Only a disasterous first contact around 2220 (since swept away by Enterprise), Battle of Donatu V (23 years before TOS), and the Battle of Caleb IV (unclear when it happens).

Whatever you do with this time period, I beg you to come up with a more creative solution than the producers of Enterprise did for Klingon ships of the past. Also, please you some genuinely old designs for Federation ships. Don't just resurface those TOS ships and call them old.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know there are archives of AVI/MPG Trek episodes out there. Now, I do not condone the trading of copyrighted material, but if someone were to be searching for a few key Next Gen and DS9 shows in this format, what would be his or her best bet?

It SO much easier to get framegrabs off an AVI than a VHS :-)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually see a lot of eps available on Gnutella networks (i use the LimeWire v1.6d client for its resumable downloads and other goodies.. available at www.limewire.com)

The disadvantages of Gnutella--like most peer2peer sharing, sometimes you dont get on a big enough network to find what you need, people who cut your download..

and i dont know what the quality of the eps is because, as a 56K user, ive never downloaded one of those 100,000+MB files.

but if you have a faster connection you would be in a better condition to get on a large search net, find the ep you need and DL it quickly. But it still might be catch as catch can.

A lot of people tell me its easy to get TV shows on MIRC or other p2p sharing environments..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ensign M. Tanner, USS Melbourne
"I'm not sure what class ship this is. I'm tired. I had too much ice cream after lunch.
Billy in engineering said he had a crush on me to Tom in astrotelemetry, but Sally in the
sensory said he has cooties"

LOL! I nearly wet my self laughing! I'm picturing M. Tanner as being a guy for some reason... It just made it all the more funnier! Maybe Ensign M. Tanner is Betazoid --> The ice-cream!?! ;o)

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Only a disasterous first contact around 2220 (since swept away by Enterprise)

Not to be:
a)mean
b)nitpicky
c)aggressive
d)hijacking the thread
e)rude
f)reopening old wounds
...but you know how that date has never had strong canonical support, and that indeed "First Contact" strongly undermined it.

We know return to regularly scheduled programming.

[ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo reguarding Wolf 359 remember the resources

1. The episodes of course BOBW/Emissary
2. The extremely detailed arguments we got into here and subsequently beautifully compiled and presented at "Copernicus Shipyards"
3. The supposed lost footage of Wolf 359 done by Rob Legato for "Emissary"
4. Mike Okuda and those encyc people-type thingies ;o)
5. There are a lot of those kitbashed/study designs SEEN on SCREEN at Wolf 359, action shots of these ships would be great!
6. What type of Star is WOLF359?
7. Why did the Borg ship meet the fleet or vice versa at Wolf359, when it is on the otherside of Earth relative to Borg Space/Delta Quadrant.

(I think that is a SWDAO) I theorise that transwarp conduits are set or are unpredictable and that one opened on the far side of the Federation relative to The Delta Quadrant/Borg Space.

OR That after the events in Q Who? The hunt was on, by the borg (who are all connected) for this ship that can appear out of nowhere, be easily carved up "like a roast", and can easily disappear again. (Thanks a lot Q) The Borg probably told all ships to FIND this Federation, or they would have taken it's location from the info gleaned from the E-D's databanks and/or from other ships. The ship that attacked during BOBW - was not necessarily the same cube from QW? and might have been closer to the Federation than that cube from QW? So even though it was closer it would come from a line of site that had it passing nearby Wolf359 to get to Earth.

OR Transwarp Conduits can open at certain points and that they (the Borg) have to warp it to particular destinations then impulse it thru the systems. Maybe they can only transwarp it through relatively empty space like those between the Galactic Arms!?!

OR the Cube in BOBW is indeed the Cube from QW? And that System J25 was (what was it 12 years?) Away from Fed space, but out "behind" Wolf359 (looking from Earth or sector 001).

What is sector 001 anyway (does a sector have to have a particular volume?) Maybe sectors closer to Earth are smaller, since sectors there might have been mapped on a smaller scale hundreds of years ago (rel to TNG). "Sector 001 - The Terran System" mentioned by Worf could be taken two ways... that Sector 001 = The Terran System or That he was narrowing it down... Sector 001... still narrowing... The Terran System!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the idea that the 'sole survivor' was the saucer section of a ship, most likely the saucer of that proto-Neb. If those extra nacelles were attached to the saucer (are they?) it could've picked up survivors and warped away. However, I don't know how plausible that is.

But I've always thought that the image of a mangled and nearly shredded Galaxy saucer picking up survivors was especially poignant.

If it was a Nebbie that picked up survivors, than it would offer the possibility of seeing the inside of the Main Shuttlebay for the first time, filled to capacity with dead, dying, and wounded.

[ December 11, 2001: Message edited by: OnToMars ]

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the question of what type of star Wolf359 is... It's a red dwarf.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If it was a Nebbie that picked up survivors, than it would offer the possibility of seeing the inside of the Main Shuttlebay for the first time, filled to capacity with dead, dying, and wounded.

Damn, I was just about to suggest something very similar.
A view of the inside of the Endevour's main shuttle bay, filled with damaged shuttles, the Endevour's own and the rescued ones, ala USS Liberator...good oppertunity for name dropping there (Shuttle 6, USS Chekov, Shuttlecraft Hubble USS Roosevelt).

There should also be escape pods and lifeboats* with all the spaces in between filled with the dead and injured, medical teams dotted about doing triage.
It would be quite dramatic to have the shuttlebay doors open for the rescue shuttles, as a result you can see out into space, the twisted reminants of the severed sensor pod's supports strut in the foreground and the BOBW graveyard scence (or a reproduction of it) in the background.

It shouldn't be too difficult, the 1701-D blueprints have some pretty good plans of the extensive shuttle bay, the Saratoga lifeboats are a pretty simple shape and as such wouldn't pose too much of a modelling challenge. The people would be a bit tricky...but doable with a little photographic manipulation

*The distinction between these two, in my mind is that the things we see ejecting from the E-E, Voyager the Defiant and the Valient are escape pods and the things that the Saratoga had in it's shuttle bay were life boats. The Escape pods being just that, while the lifeboats are more independant are generally bigger and have a greater range

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Why at Wolf 359?"

Maybe because the Alpha Q transwarp hub was on the other side of Earth from the Delta Quad.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  24  25  26   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps