Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Oh my god! (Spoilers for Nemesis) (Page 8)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Oh my god! (Spoilers for Nemesis)
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll just have to ditto the above, although Masao and friends' work deserves even higher praise. I just can't come up with any just now. [Smile]

Personally, I'm hoping for a relatively late stardate for "Nemesis", perhaps in the 2380s, so that none of the loose ends of DS9 or VOY need be addressed. The more time there's for Starfleet to forget about the "Endgame" Bat-armor, to promote Janeway a second time, and to get Worf out of his silly diplomatic job and back to shooting up things, the better.

Alternately, a stardate just after "Endgame" would explain why the Bat-armor isn't "yet" applied on the E-E, shorten the re-courtship of Riker and Troi, and let the political atmosphere and UFP belief in Romulan goodwill remain where they were at the end of the Dominion war.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I certainly hope that they take into consideration the climate at the end of DS9 and Voyager, I'm hoping we'll get some connection to the Dominion War. Given that the Romulans played so large a role at the end, I'm hoping there will be something that takes that into account when making them bad guys again.

Not that they were ever good guys, I suppose...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Browsing through the pictures, I think the one with Data standing in front of a display of two planets correlates with the script bit where he incorrectly says "Like Mercury, one side always faces the sun". Regardless of whether that dialogue will be corrected or not, the display seems to show Romulus and Remus on separate orbits around the star, albeit very close to each other.

So apparently Romulus and Remus don't co-orbit after all. And they won't be close to each other all the time, but rather once per decade or so. A setup like this would nicely explain the discrepancy between a "moonless" Vulcan and the ST:TMP multi-moon view.

And it's now rather unlikely the Remans would be modified Romulans. The differences are simply too extreme. Probably the Romulans just settled on the most Vulcan-like "double planet" they could find, and had to accept the presence of native Remans on the other half of the pair.

Timo Saloniemi

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well theres no obvious need for Janeway to be promoted twice.. i thought that we'd established in the post season 3 rank insignia, there probably isnt a one-pip flag officer (commodore or lower RADM) it just makes a lot more sense that way. (and leaves the one pip insignia open to maybe, administrative positions only, non-command officers like Commodore Stocker)

i believe Endgame ended up falling on a date near the end of 2377. Id think mid-to late 2378 (or beyond) is a reasonable timeframe for Nemesis.

and i still think that, even if there was an original Reman species, they display enough Romulanistic characteristics to show some interbreeding. Remember, we are talking 5000 years here, plenty of time for the Remans to start showing Romulan appearances (pointed ears) and Romulans to begin to show Reman traits (the forehead v-shape). note that the Romulan's ear points are about halfway inbetween the tapering Vulcan look and the batlike Reman look. possibly Reman interbreeding led to this change, although the cultures obviously havent become completely meshed, basically the trait has been passed through Romulan society in the interim.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which would neatly explain the lack of the Romulan V-forehead before TNG.
On the other hand, did the Romulan Ambassador in ST:VI have the TNG style makeup or not?

Either way, intermarring between the Reman heritage may be stronger in some Romulans than in others, depending on their family history.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those who haven't read the script, we're set fourteen years after Riker became Picard's XO. So unless the date was changed onscreen, we're in late 2378 or early 2379, no more than a few months after "Endgame" (set some time after the 315th anniversary of Cochrane's flight, or April 5, 2378).
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MinutiaeMan came up with the name Archer soon after the name of the captain was announced for Enterprise. Since they honored him with a ship class, I guess this means he'll be killed in the next few years (which won't be soon enough for me). MM also came up with the concept for the ship; I just drew it. The fine renders were done by Thomas Pemberton, who's been rendering my designs for going on 3 years now.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"On the other hand, did the Romulan Ambassador in ST:VI have the TNG style makeup or not?"

Not.

"Since they honored him with a ship class, I guess this means he'll be killed in the next few years (which won't be soon enough for me)."

It's a ship. No-one said it was a class. And they named a ship after Sarek, too, but he wasn't killed. He died of Bendii Syndrome at the age of 202. For all we know, Archer could live to 202, also.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Masao was talking about *his* Archer-class.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, then, why say "I guess"? Shouldn't he know the back-story to his own ship design?
newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few minutes ago, I e-mailed Mr. Okuda about the list for Starfleet Battle Group Omega. I asked for verification of our list of names and registries. If he responds, I will post it on this board.
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you people aren't flooding him with emails...

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I agree. I took the risk with the thought in mind that I was the only one to e-mail him on this okudagram.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm of the opinion that we can bare to wait until December beofr teh TRUE scrutiny begins. I'm certain that Okuda knows the answer, but that he didn't have anything to do with taht particular graphic sequence. He would certainly not have labelled the force as "Star Fleet"!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

newark
Member # 888

quote:
Thanks very much for your note. I'm sorry, but since the film has not yet been released, I'm not permitted to release any information, although I will note that there are some mistakes in that graphic (such as spelling "Starfleet" as two words). I hope you understand that Paramount can be rather picky about such things.

-Mike

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps