Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Tholians! (Page 11)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Tholians!
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or what about a lone Gorn working with some Orion/Nausicaan/Random pirates.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember the big bald Nazi mechanic in "Raiders of the Lost Ark"?
I had a concept for a similar character when I wrote my "Hidden Frontier" script, and I can see how Enterprise might do something similar. I wrote in a big, silent Gorn as dumb muscle, in the middle of a gang of Orions and Andorians.

What d'you reckon? A Star Trek crime caper... an Andorian boss, a group of Orion thugs, a big silent Gorn to be the "muscle", and a renegade Hamalki engineer doing the safecracking... call it... "Nebula's Eleven" [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It was halfway to Rivendell when the drugs began to take effect."
Hunter S. Tolkein, Fear and Loathing in Barad-Dur

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll pass on George Clooney as an Andorian.
...although david warner would make a pretty cool Andorian.
....so would the bad guy from the first Die-Hard movie.

....and Wil Wheaton as the Gorn. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they should have Louie Anderson play the first Tellerite Captain we see......hilarity ensues, and as a result, it comes to be known as the BEST episode of Enterprise EVER....soonafter Hell thaws.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to be clear, I wasn't saying that "Arena" shouldn't be considered first contact w/ the Gorn. I'm sure it was intended to be. I'm just saying that, if ENT does screw that up, it isn't irreconcilable.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woah there. That's just too many negations in one post. It's messing with my brain!

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
I think they should have Louie Anderson play the first Tellerite Captain we see

I have no idea who that is... but I had an actor in mind who'd make a good Tellarite. Unfortunately, the Borg assimilated him first, and he's now Ernest Seven of Borgnine [Big Grin]

[EDIT]: Minor edit for spelling... some days I just get "rented fingers syndrome"

[ March 02, 2003, 04:04 AM: Message edited by: Starbuck ]

--------------------
"It was halfway to Rivendell when the drugs began to take effect."
Hunter S. Tolkein, Fear and Loathing in Barad-Dur

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Just to be clear, I wasn't saying that "Arena" shouldn't be considered first contact w/ the Gorn. I'm sure it was intended to be. I'm just saying that, if ENT does screw that up, it isn't irreconcilable.

TSN Translation:
Arena should be considered first contact with the Gorn. This fact is strongly implied, and is what was intended. However this ambiguity still leaves room for Enterprise to "actually" make first contact with the Gorn.

Excellent, no negations...here you go Harry [Wink]

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Starbuck:
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
I think they should have Louie Anderson play the first Tellerite Captain we see

I have no idea who that is... but I had an actor in mind who'd make a good Tellarite. Unfortunately, the Borg assimilated him first, and he's now Ernest Seven of Borgnine [Big Grin]

Any American (US-ian and Canadian) who knows who Louie is would probably agree with me that he is already the human equivelant of what a tellerite is [Smile]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I may get back onto a topic that's pertinent to this forum... [Wink]

I saw that Bernd has put up the ENT Tholian ship as a separate design. Obviously the ship is a lot more detailed, but I've been thinking of it as the same as the original TOS one, and chalking it down to effects. It's kinda like the difference between the D7 battlecruiser (heck, even the 1701 itself!) we saw on TOS and the Greg Jein model from "Trials and Tribble-ations." Same ship, just more detail.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No.
I think that even though the Tholians are a bit behind the Federation by Kirk's age, they still would have upgraded their fleet.
It is also possible that the Tholian ships in TOS are only small patrol crast on the edge of Tholian space and the ships from Enterprise represent a much more powerful class of ship.

...or they could be from the future (as pointed out). [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While the designs are quite similar, the "Future Tense" vessel is sleeker (more elongated) and more sharply angular than its TOS counterpart. I think it was this subtle re-sculpting of the overall lines of the design that Bernd used as a justification for calling it a separate one.

I think I agree. I did in fact notice the difference in the physical shape of the ships while watching the ep, as opposed to the Jein models from T&T, which were built as exact replicas of the originals with only the surface details being augmented.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Starbuck:

Then again, the NX-01 has already encountered the Ferengi, and we already know that first contact with them was made by... Jean-Luc Picard! [Big Grin]

And about 5 quintilli-billi-trillion other people, a fair few of whom were human.

Come on, if you can accept all that stuff we were told about the Ferengi from season 3 onwards and reconcile it with the oh-so-spectacular episode that is "The Last Outpost", I'm sure you can cope with Gorn in ENT.

Oh, and one thing about that whole "rights" issue. Wasn't there some talk about the DS9 people having to pay the writer of "Mirror, Mirror" when they started doing their mirror universe episodes? Talk about whether he owned the rights to it in some ways, or something like that?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure about the Mirror Universe, but I do remember that the Tzenkethi were originally going to be the Kzinti from TAS, except that that name is owned by Niven.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Then I'm glad we never saw them.
THe closest we ever need to see to a "Cat Person" were those horridly lame-ass aliens fueding with the sterotypical reptile men from TNG's first season.
I'm sure somebody here can name them: and boy were they lame.
....I think thet were the first of the "T" aliens too!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps