Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » 3-D and 2-D Star Maps (Page 12)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: 3-D and 2-D Star Maps
Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.craigdannenberg.com/bajor/TrekMap.html Kes has been corrected, and now all the maps have been image mapped off the galaxy image, and Voyager season 4 has been added. Comments, suggestions, ponderances?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is Alastria?

I hazard that the Borg Collective and the Dominion are both WAY bigger.

"E'Dran" is actually spelt Idran - I'm pretty sure.

I'd but DS9 and the Wormhole closer to the Badlands/the DMZ (which I think extends a great deal along the Federation/Cardassian border) and further from Tzenkethi space. I don't think Bajoran space is THAT big either. I think they're a bit of a backwater.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Alastria
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would it be out on the rim - why not 40,000 light years closer to home - I think that is what drove Harry and ultimately Tuvok to try and use the technology to get home - why try and make it go out there?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen the episode in ages, but according to the linked description that particular planet had nothing to do with getting closer to home, and everything to do with a pleasant setting for a date. So why should it be anywhere, in particular?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pussy is where you can find it...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alastria- is a planet in a binary star system that the Sikarians used a spatial trajector to get to. It was stated that is was 40,000ly from Sikaris, and in the Delta Quadrant, given the location of Sikaris, that would place it in one of three place: In the core (not a happy place), or bottom right of Delta, or the upper left corner- So I picked bottom right. If it were 40,000ly closer to home, then it could not also be in the Delta Quadrant- and at no time did Harry know the exact location of Alastria, just it's distance from where he was, and it's a bit too coincidental to have it on Voyager's exact path home. Alastria was not just a good place to go on a date, Harry and everyone understood that the technology had the power to send something 40,000ly in any direction (including on the path home)

Borg- Voyager entered Borg space in Scorpion I and exited it in The Gift, after Kes threw the ship 9500ly through Borg space. That does set at least the one cross-section of Borg space at 9500ly. I thought this looked small as well, so I made it more vertical, gave it some extra territory spots so it ended up 20,000ly long. Perhaps I'll expand it further though. I think most people have in their mind that the Borg must have a lot of space- They are the Borg, but perhaps 10,000/20,000ly is hitting a limit for them- I ponder that if the Borg collective functions over a subspace link then it might also be a limiting factor:
*We know Federation subspace communication signals have a range.
*Borg tend to scoop up civilizations and take them back to the collective, rather than setting up camp everywhere.
*When Hugh rejoined his ship and his memories were reintegrated, only the ship he was on went haywire and not the entire collective.

Perhaps it was by technological limitation that the collective�s link has a range, or perhaps it is by intentional design. A Borg vessel has so many drones that it could sustain collective control on its own; perhaps this is why most Borg ships are so large in the first place. Events such as Hugh�s reindividualization would work in taking out a ship, but it would not be spread to all the Borg. Voyager concluded with the total destruction of the Borg- as Janeway�s virus spread over the collective, but the same subspace link limitation could have worked to protect the Borg- They could have had thousands of cubes out assimilating civilizations around the galaxy, and if they were out of range of downloading the virus, those ships could then return to rebuild.

Thus perhaps the Borg are not as expansive as most of us ponder, but perhaps are even more difficult to kill off.

You are correct, it is Idran, I will change that.

The Badlands is already 500ly long, if it stretched all the way Tzenkethi territory it would be visible from Earth, and not just visible, but predominantly visible in the night sky. I did alter the Bajoran Sector some, squeezed it all up more so it no longer borders Tzenkethi Space. To call any area of the galaxy a backwater is a bit Terrancentric. The Bajora were a species of great architects, artists, builders and philosophers before Humans were standing upright. They were exploring space when humans were first starting to explore the �new world�. Bajorans stumbled just once in their history, where as humanity nearly destroyed itself several times over- they just had the luck of making contact with the Vulcans first, and not the Cardassians.

Updates coming soon.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

OK about Alastria.

Maybe the Borg has a fatter mid section? Or it's the whole 3d perspective that needs to be looked up which is just a can of worms. I think you are already doing nicely.

What I meant is move the wormhole and DS9 closer to the Badlands. It also took the Defiant a bit of time to get to the Tzenkethi border.

ALSO why would Bajor - an occupied planet get their ENTIRE former space back... also why do they have such a large region compared to some of the 'powers' - like the Tholians or the Gorn or even the Tzenkethi.

From what I sussed out watching DS9 there was Bajor and it's moons and planets - plus New Bajor I think that was in the Alpha Quadrant - maybe it was in the Gamma Quadrant. Anyway I would say that Bajor pretty much consists of it's own system. They don't even really have their own warp ships. I'd even have Cardassian space (pre dominion) sort of cutting off Bajor from the Federation to make it a little more remote.

Shakaar
Member # 1782

Indeed, perhaps I could make Borg space a bit fatter lower down.

Bajor does have a lively system with lots of habitable space- but they also have long standing territorial claims throughout the sector. They were exploring space for thousands of years before the Humans, but for some reason they didn't quite have the same drive to expand. New Bajor was certainly in the Gamma Quadrant- the Bajorans started to colonize in the Gamma Quadrant after the discovery of the wormhole, and they were later slaughtered by the Jem'Hadar- the First Jem'Hadar that came to DS9 to inform the UFP that they were not allowed in the Gamma Quadrant gave Kira a Bajoran padd that displayed a list of colonies and ships that had been destroyed.

In TNG - Ensign Ro, the Enterprise visited a Bajoran world closer to UFP space which the Cardassians did not annex (as the CU still controlled Bajor at the time of the TNG ep) It was noted that Bajorans had settled "all over the quadrant" by Picard (Though I think that's kinda reaching for how far they settled)

There have been many mentions or episodes in DS9 that started with a couple officers headed back from some Bajoran system... Golana, Kovaria, Nehru, Free Haven, Prophets' Landing, Valo, Velos, and more... all cited as individual systems Bajorans were forced to relocate to, or moved to my choice.

Tholian territory is twice the area of the Bajoran's, and the Tholians are a xenophobic species that doesn't explore space. Gorn and Tzenkethi were threats to nearby worlds in the UFP, but I do not think either posed a significant threat to the entire UFP

Shakaar
Member # 1782

And Bajorans certainly do have warp technology, just in TNG-Ensign Ro, Orton, the resistance leader that was accused of attacking the UFP, he as an individual/his group did not have warp capable ships.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
However, we don't know when the Bajorans got that tech. All their warpship designs also appear as part of the supposedly Cardassian convoy in "Rules of Engagement", and even in Bajoran service they wear typical Cardassian colors... Perhaps they are all Cardassian leftovers from the Occupation era?

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plus I don't think you can equate a Bajoran diaspora to a Bajoran, like, colonization effort.
Shakaar
Member # 1782

Indeed, though that was the only time the Cardassians used those ships, I thought they were strictly Bajoran, as the Bajorans seem to have many of that class. They do have the strictly Bajoran Interceptor class and fighter, it seems the Bajorans have a knack for aquiring ships, as we've seen them use half a dozen species' vessel designs.

Psha... Though it was true the Bajorans were forced to other worlds just in the last 40 year period of the Cardassian occupation of Bajor, in the time since then they have colonized new worlds, and in the thousands of years before the occupation they also did the same.

Shakaar
Member # 1782

I updated Idran in the Gamma Quadrant, altered the area around Bajor, and added to the second leg of Voyager's route. http://www.craigdannenberg.com/bajor/TrekMap.html
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Doesn't someone make a point of mentioning that the Bajorans didn't have any particular interest in anything offworld prior to the occupation?
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps