Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » 3-D and 2-D Star Maps (Page 7)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  12  13  14   
Author Topic: 3-D and 2-D Star Maps
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There has GOT to be an engineer on the boards here somewhere. Someone's gotta make a CAD version of the map, which we can all then enjoy with a free DXF viewer, or something. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm an engineer, but that doesn't necessarily make me the right person with the right tools. You're looking for a 3D version of the map, right? I could easily make one, but since my CAD program is an *exact* modeler, the exported poly count could end up being off the scale, if you used spheres for the stars. I'm wondering what the most accessible format would be, maybe DXF or VRML?

B.J.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For typical data viewing, a VRML script would be better as you can see it on the net freely enough. I also wouldn't use spheres as the star objects due to the poly count, but close enough approximations could be useful. This would a fairly large undertaking regardless...

Then again, I'm no CAD expert. I'm GIS. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you go to Winchell Chung's site, his has a lot of links to websites people who are working on various mapping projects. I'm sure someone must be working on some kind of 3-D map. After all, Winchell generates 2-D maps from his data set, so generating 3-D maps would be possible.

http://www.projectrho.com/smap12.html

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm.....a 3D versin of Masao's and the Star Charts maps would be incredible.

Mabye an interactive website....(dreaming, I know)

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'll build a 3D version... out of marshmallows and toothpics!

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...go with pick-up-sticks nad crunchberries.
That way, you can always pull a "Galactus" and eath any offending system.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What, the marshmallows aren't edible in Miami?
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Truthfully, I have thought about building a physical model of local space using metal rods and beads. But I could get around the problem of each star having to be supported by its own rod, which would be unsightly, even if very thin or painted black. However, if the rods are used instead to show connections between nearby stars, the rods would be designed to be visible and could be pretty thick and strong. Chemists already use ball and stick kits of this type to build physical models of molecules. Hmm...

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
What, the marshmallows aren't edible in Miami?

Well, I dont really know what a marshmallow is.
...then there are the little rock-hard things called marshmallows in cereals (like Luckey Charms).

Crunch berries- puffed corn meal, sugar, food coloring. The perfect planet in a Willy Wonka universe.

[ November 18, 2005, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Jason Abbadon ]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

jX
Member # 1201

- posted      Profile for jX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason: What kind of godless communist nation do you live in without marshmallows? I demand to know so that I may invade, bringing with me freedom and marshmallows.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Been digging through old threads, Jesus?
Boy, that sounds weird.

I live the the great surreal state of South Florida (yes, it's it's own litttle sub-state) where we care not for marshmallow dreck and the smore is an urban legend of Northern states (like forests, snow and animals not on leashes).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, what did you think when you saw Ghostbusters?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

That it was, over all, a big disapointment.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

jX
Member # 1201

- posted      Profile for jX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Been digging through old threads, Jesus?

It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps