Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » 3-D and 2-D Star Maps (Page 11)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: 3-D and 2-D Star Maps
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We speculated those streaks you see in TNG could be bits of stellar microparticles hitting the navigation shields and flaring into oblivion.

Yes, those distances are vast. I did't realize it until I researched Edward Jellico's order to Data in "Chain of Command." He wanted to be at Minos Corva in 1 hour so Data gave a course heading and speed of warp 8.5. When I looked that speed up on the chart, I saw they had to already be really, really close to Minos Corva already if they were going to make it in an hour at that speed.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If warp 9 is 1,516 times the speed of light, oh so fast!, but it would still take 1.2 days to travel to the nearest star!

That's a problem I have with most Trek maps, in that folks often compromise real cartography in lieu of of adherence to Tech Manual speeds.

While it's true that warp moves the ships at the Speed of Plot, the preponderance of evidence points to warp speeds being far faster than the TM ever suggested. For instance, direct statements of speed suggest 9.9 is in the 21,500c range, and of course Enterprise requires that warp five be somewhere in TNG warp nine range.

Other times speeds seem greater or smaller, but the above seems to me to approximate a "best fit", pending a more thorough analysis that I'm not afraid to say I'm dreading.

Just an observation. Go on about your business.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "warp streaks are stars" idea was buried in "First Contact" at the very latest: we see these "stars" streak by even though the Phoenix doesn't travel far enough to lose sight of Earth!

Warp speeds that are ten times faster than the Encyclopedia values would be sufficient for most storytelling needs. Perhaps the Encyclopedia figures only apply to brief warp hops, whereas the ride gets smoother if one maintains "thrust" for an hour or more?

Timo Saloniemi

Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once pondered that the streaks could be something else... but we've seen too many times when a ship slows back to sub-light.... that the streaks become stars.

I'd have to say since I don't think they've ever spelled out that warp _ = ______ xc that the technical manuals are just wrong. Though it has been correct on a few occasions only when they deal with long journeys outside the Federation, it seems to be more often wrong.

I've been busy, but I've removed the real stars, changed the scale to 1000ly, and I'll make a zoom in map for real stars. I fear I do not have, nor have ever been able to get my hands on the new star charts book- but I've only really heard reasons people disagree with it. Any thoughts on it, and how it deals with this subject?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, most of the time they resolve into stars. Don't they occasionally go off in weird directions, presumably because of effects errors?

At any rate, considering that the streaks are apparently coming from stars but can't actually be the result of stellar motion, it seems reasonable to just chalk it up to a Weird Effect passing through a warp field has on light. (So how come other light sources, like ships traveling alongside, don't go all streaky? Well, putting aside the issues of point of view and dramatic necessity, we only see two ships at warp together when they're trying to do something to each other. Towing, shooting, beaming, and so on, and we know that this requires some sort of "synching up" of their respective warp fields. So the light from ship A isn't crossing a normal space/warped space barrier to get to ship B.)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mabye the number of streaks increases at faster warp speeds?
It would explain why the streaks dont always resolve into stars- more warpage bends their light from farther positions outside the camera's POV.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started in a Delta Quadrant map, and then got busy with other things, so I pondered I�d crank out a Gamma Quadrant map, seeing as we really know the least about it. Please comment on anything you think I should alter/relocate/add! I also added it to my Galaxy map. In DS9 Battle Lines the other side of the wormhole was placed 70,000ly away from Bajor, so the location is appropriate. I made the Dominion roughly 5000-6000ly, which makes it the full width of the Scutum Arm. I found that to be a good size, big, yet not overly huge and being the width of the arm gives it somewhat of a protective moat on two sides- space in that area would be more spread out with fewer star systems.
Entire Galaxy: http://www.craigdannenberg.com/bajor/galaxy.jpg
Local Area: http://www.craigdannenberg.com/bajor/mapnew.gif
Dominion: http://www.craigdannenberg.com/bajor/gamma.gif

Shakaar
Member # 1782

Any thoughts on the Gamma Quadrant map above?

I'm now through with re-watching season 2 of Voyager, adding locations as I go, and I mapped ahead.
There were some interesting things I noticed this time though; it was not until the second season episode four "Elogium" that Ensign Wildman spoke with Janeway and told her that she had became pregnant- that she and her husband (who was on DS9) had been trying to have a baby for months, their conversation reveals that she regretted the circumstances as the Delta Quadrant was not the best place to raise a child, and it was formed as an apology really, showing that it was naturally procreated before Voyager was lost, yet from the stardate given for the episode, it would have been seven months after Voyager was lost- this is a rather lengthy time to not be showing, and just find out. Naomi is born in "Deadlock" which is a hair over eight months later, so she did develop normally (as she was born a little early).

After re-watching VOY- 37�s, I�m kinda thinking that Henry Kim deserved to remain an Ensign� after they beamed the Ford truck to the cargo bay he asks: �Is this an early hover car?� I know it is the future and all, but certainly Harry understands the history of the wheel? And things with wheels tend to use them for locomotion? It�s like showing someone today a picture of an early sail ship- I don�t think many of us would be so clueless.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Harry was an idiot, but that episode is one of Voyager's very worst so...

Really incredible work on those maps!
Really, I saved 'em right alonside my own WIP versions of the Star Charts stuff (which I'm forever forgettting to go back into).

I might have placed Karrema a bit closer to Edran or Dosi though it's likely they have several systems with worlds in them- the Dominion might have absorbed many budding cultures with trading partners/colonies spread out.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Shakaar
Member # 1782

http://www.craigdannenberg.com/bajor/delta1.gif is the first three years of Voyager's route- though I've only watched the first two seasons again so more will be added.
Shakaar
Member # 1782

I moved Karrema closer to the originally held border and up some. The Dominion map was pretty easy, as there was very little known, and since moving Karrema does not contradict with anything I'm aware of, I'm happy with you being happy. *L* I didn't move it too close to the Dosi though, it seemed a bit counter-productive to have the two species that trade for the Dominion right on top of one another.
Shakaar
Member # 1782

I updated: http://www.craigdannenberg.com/bajor/delta1.gif and now consider it complete- comments welcome...
I'm now starting on a second map- as there was 9500ly of Borg space that Kess flung Voyager by, so the next map will be from that second starting point.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's Kes.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Shakaar
Member # 1782

Drat... Perhaps I shouldn't have fast forwarded through the intro each time. I'll correct that later, thanks
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehehe I was going to say that - after 2 seasons of intros... [Smile]

The Intro to Voyager is still very beautiful. I remember when a friend came back to Australia a day or so after it aired in the States with a tape of Caretaker. It was awesome and we were probably one of the very few in Australia who saw it so EARLY! I remember we watched the intro a few times cause it was so awesome. Great music too. Of course I still love the DS9 opening too.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps