Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » 3-D and 2-D Star Maps (Page 3)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: 3-D and 2-D Star Maps
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Trek Maps was created by a rather large group of people, including Lee Cole, Jeff Maynard, Michael McMaster, Rick Sternbach and Mandel.

The Charts were made in a very different time, with probably a much tighter budget and less interest from the publisher.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam Xumucane:
So when is someone going to develop a 3-D star-maping program where we graphic designer snobs can tweak the colors/positions/typefaces/size/texturemaps of all objects within a fully customizable interface that will output movie files as well as high-res renders? Also this software should be totally free. What? I don't think I'm asking too much.

Celestia comes pretty darn close.

B.J.

jX
Member # 1201

- posted      Profile for jX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hot damn, that's a REALLY well done map. Very LCARS too. the 3d versions are make much more sense than the 2d version did at first. Excellent job, man.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Jesus. I'm still tweaking it. I found I misplaced some stars and might do away with the perspective and the frames. Stay tuned!

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
Thanks, Jesus.

Snicker.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A sad day when Masao is tweaking stars and Jesus is complimenting him on it.

hmm...mabye Masao lied on his resume to get the job. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Kobi
Member # 1360

- posted      Profile for Kobi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masao, if you like I try to locate my old emails in which I discussed Dan Carlson's placement of your Romulan War... Somewhere I might have the one or other picture left as well, though I can't promise, a lot of Star Trek images made by me were lost in a hard drive crash

--------------------
Visit Andorian's office, with new section all about Kzinti!

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Kobi. I'd appreciate it. Dan and I were trying to find some of our old maps of the Romulan War on our on computers, but without much luck. I'm pretty sure I made some campaign maps, but I seem to have misplaced them.

--------------------

Kobi
Member # 1360

- posted      Profile for Kobi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still have some of the emails and fortunately also the source file for my maps.

I have uploaded my 3d-views to my server, there is also a video that shows the "warground" as seen as from different angles.

Here is the list, though IIRC "CP-69�177" was later identified as Romulus

(SLS=Sol Like Star)
Qualor = CC Eridani
Deneva = 82 Eridani - SLS
Vulcan = Epsilon Eridani (here I have to disagree, because Gene Roddenberry
favoured 40 Eridani that is more likely to inhabit life)
Cheron = HD 13445 - SLS

Andor = Zeta Tucanae - SLS
Yadalla = p Eridani (some charts list it incorrectly as rho Eri)
Pvarto = Moved to CP-68�41
Beta Hydri = I doubt this will become a colony, because the star is turning into a nova instead the Andorians can found a colony on Gliese 877 suggested name: Th'allt

Further (dim) Stars
Devron = CP-69�177 (see note)
Dessica = GJ 1061
Tomed = NN 3210
Topaz = GJ 2034

That is what I could find in a quick search, I assume I have some paper notes elsewhere...

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Thanks, Kobi. Do you have any maps that I made and sent to you?

--------------------

Kobi
Member # 1360

quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
Thanks, Kobi. Do you have any maps that I made and sent to you?

Sorry, I looked again through your mails, but there are only ship schematics [Wink]

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

OK, thanks anyway.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OKay, here are my (pathetically late, I know) grupes and questions on the otherwise excellent Star Charts book (whick I finally recieved after waiting a month for Amazon to ship the frekkin thing!).

Why would Chintoka be sooo far from Cardasia?
The book places Bajor squarely withing cardassian territory, but with their pending Fed membership, they were practically asking for a war...it'd be like the Romulans admiting Tellar into it's Empire and expecting a peaceful outcome.

The map of the Dominion seems really off- none of the worlds listed (Karemma, the buff Oompa Loomas, the Hunters, etc.) are actually shown as within the Dominion's borders but we know they're members of the Dominion!

Hell, the Founder's new homeworld is listed as several hundred light years outside the Dominion!
Seems a rather silly (and vulnerable!) place to re-locate.

Aside from that, there's nothing major I see as "off"....okay, that the RMZ just sorta ends near Iconia is a little strange.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Why would Chintoka be sooo far from Cardassia?
Well, why not? It's supposed to be a weak spot in their lines, after all.

quote:
The book places Bajor squarely withing cardassian territory, but with their pending Fed membership, they were practically asking for a war...
It's more like the direct consequence of the LAST war. Apparently, the Feds carved a huge hole into the "northeast" flank of the Cardassians, and stopped just short of invading Cardassia itself, or liberating Bajor. They then withdrew, not annexing any of the space they had taken from the Cardassians, since Feds are nice guys.

At least, that's my rationale for it. The reason for this is the original Okudagram which establishes Bajor as being the very closest system to Cardassia, combined with the extended Okudagram that shows the borders of the Cardassian/Dominion space. Canon data, in short.

quote:
it'd be like the Romulans admiting Tellar into it's Empire and expecting a peaceful outcome.
You mean the same guys who wanted to invade Vulcan in "Unification"? [Smile]

quote:
The map of the Dominion seems really off- none of the worlds listed (Karemma, the buff Oompa Loomas, the Hunters, etc.) are actually shown as within the Dominion's borders but we know they're members of the Dominion!
Indeed. And the scale is off by a factor of ten. An unfortunate consequence of limited time and interest in proofreading this section...

Supposedly, both Karemma and Dosi are on the fringes of Dominion space, indicated in violet (the dotted orange line was some sort of a last-minute misunderstanding). Which is where they probably ought to be, considering their apparent proximity to the wormhole and their ability to trade with Alpha, as opposed to the absence of Dominion counterreaction. And there never was any real indication that the Hunters/Tosks would be Dominion members (even if the former had Jemmie-style guns).

quote:
Hell, the Founder's new homeworld is listed as several hundred light years outside the Dominion! Seems a rather silly (and vulnerable!) place to re-locate.
I'd rather use the term "hideout world". And no, the new hideout is not really supposed to be outside the Dominion: the violet hue was supposed to be the extent of the Dominion. There was probably a mixup of some sort with the idea of old Iconian presence there.

In short, perhaps it would be for the best if pages 74-75 be ignored altogether... [Embarrassed]

quote:
...okay, that the RNZ just sorta ends near Iconia is a little strange.
Well, this was an attempt at a compromise between the ideas of a solid, unviolated RNZ of simple geometric shapes on one hand, and Romulan presence elsewhere in the quadrants on the other. Earthlings thought they were "separating planets Romulus and Remus from the rest of the galaxy" (TOS "BoT") when they created the almost complete enclosure that seemingly extended beyond the range of starships. Time changed all that, though. The RNZ leaks a lot where the Klingons have expanded to border on it; and the far side is in practice uncontrolled, resulting in lots of leakage.

When I originally sketched this thing, the RNZ just sort of faded on the far side. Mandel changed that to this abruptly ending thing with a clear gap in it, though, making it look a bit funny.

Timo Saloniemi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, if the book can misplace Timo by over a thousand miles, what's a few light-years in planetary terms, eh?
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps