Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » 3-D and 2-D Star Maps (Page 4)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: 3-D and 2-D Star Maps
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While it was never made clear in dialogue, the Hunters/TOsk were always itended to be Dominion members.
The writers had meant to staff the large dominion cruisers (Dukat's) with Wadi and Hunter technicians alongside the Jem'Hadar (who serve only as shock troops).
The idea was to imply a link between the Tosk's invisibility and the Jem'Hadar's shrouding- same scaly skin too- and make the point of genetic manipultion more aparant. PLus the guns thing which I'd forgotten (and they used that prop to death anyway, unfortunately).
(shrugs)

I think I'll just scan and alter the Dominion map for accuracy...I'll get your input once I start (next week probably).
Are there other worlds known in the Gamma Quadrant that are left off the map? It seems there must be but...

I do indeed think the Romulans invading Vulcan would have led to war....eventually.
So soon after W359 and with the Fed's fleet so dispersed, the Romulans might have had a chance to consolidate their forces and entrench in the system. Even if they retreated (likely) they'd leave behind hundreds of agents within federation borders that could claim to be vulcan refugees from the initial invasion.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eventually? I'm not sure I see the point of a Federation at all if war isn't declared the very moment Romulan soldiers invade a member world.

Now the actual prosecution of a war is, sure, a different thing.

Also, Tosk must really be a Dominion experiment but the refit Enterprise can't detach its saucer?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(sigh) It can detach- as a lifeboat in extreme emergencies- that's what Probert intended and there's red pinstripes along the seperation area and everything.
I just hate the storyboard showing the detached saucer itself as some klingon battlecruiser-ass-kicking machine.
Three battlecruisers no less.

If the Romulan invasion had proceeded according to their plan, it would have caused great confusion and I think the Federation would have (back then in TNG) sent in the obligitory task force of ships to confront the Romulans while the Council prepared some emergency resolution....

It would have likely taken a few days for the Fed to get it's ducks in a row, confirmed an actual invasion and made it's standard political overtures and veiled threats before taking a major military action taht would lead to interstellar war.
And as Sela pointed out, they'd have dug in by then- we dont know what all was on those Vulcan ships other than troops, but it's likely (to me) that several cloaked Warbirds would have gone along as orbital/in system support.

Assuming the Romulans did not employ a policy of destroying any starfleet ship that entrerd the system.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention a forced extraction of entrench troops from a friendly planet isn't going to be popular with the council.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Whole lotta Vulcans would likely croak too.
I wonder if Romulans still retain the adaptation to the thinner atmosphere and heavier gravity...

Probably not.....that might be a way to tell Vulcans from Romulans- Rommies would need some drug in their system to compensate.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why wouldn't the Vulcans who left Vulcan seek out another world that was like Vulcan?
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They could well think that since all the wars on Vulcan had been over the possession of water, it would be a good idea to settle on a planet with lots of water. (The Romulan capital city seems to be a harbor...)

Also, Vulcans apparently aren't native to Vulcan. Even though they have some desert adaptations from their 600,000 years of residence, they might really prefer a less harsh climate. A planet as lush as Earth, yet as warm as Vulcan, might be their idea of paradise.

Or then it's a "beggars can't be choosers" thing.

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I vote for the "beggars cant be choosers" notion- the fleet of exiles might have settled on the farthers system that their ships could get them to or they just ran out of gas near the Romulus/Remus system and called it destiny.

There is a detailed backstory in the novels about how difficult the first Romulan settlers had it in their unfamilliar watery new world- disease from moisture and their lungs being very prone to sickness (coming from a world with zero humidity).

Even from orbit, it's clear that Romulus is covered with oceans.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Surely we're not putting any credence in what random brains in jars tell us?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Just pointing out an attempt to fill the big inexplained holes in Vulcan/Romulan history.

For the record, my brain is kept safely behind my zipper.

Here's aquestion on the Charts book-
Why is Icobar right next to Iconia?
It would make sense if the Iconians could not easily walk through a Gateway and be in another quadrant, but it seems ...wrong to have a world that sounds so much like "Iconia" be so close to the Iconian homeworld, and yet have Varley talking about how the Iconians were "thought to be legends" and all that.

Someone would have searched the nearby systems looking for Iconia (just as people have serached for Atlantis for centuries).

Juat an observation really, but it woulld hake more sense if Icobar was far far away from Iconia (to me, but I also say varley was a bad Captain and got his crew killed for nothing).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I was refering to Timo's post, which I assume is in turn refering to that Sarpeidon fellow.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Ah.
I thought you might be referring to my "brain in a jar" joke from the "We're so boned" thread.

Here's a question for ya- were the Remans native to Romulous and just got "displaced" by the invading vulcans or did they always live on shithol....er..."Remus".

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Current evidence sort of suggests they are natives to either Romulus or Remus, merely enslaved by the newcomer Vulcanoids.

Since they hated slavery so much, it's hard to tell if they hated Remus, too. From their vampirelike habitus, though, one would think Remus would be heaven to them, and Romulus would be hell. So my bet is for them to be the native inhabitants of Remus before the Romulans came.

quote:
Here's aquestion on the Charts book-
Why is Icobar right next to Iconia?

Blame Mandel, not me. I never even thought that Iccobar was a planet: from the way it's used in "Contagion", it sounded more like a language, possibly spoken on a number of planets, perhaps on none.

However, it sounds as if the Iconians were fairly local players in the end. Bombardment of a single world seemed to collapse their reign. Perhaps they merely went to places, like the Sikarians, and never really established themselves at places, like actual galactic empires do? This would fit with having the "relic languages" spoken in places close to the actual planet Iconia.

Also, if Iconia was a relatively puny entity, it would then follow that those who defeated it were no giants, either. They'd leave little heritage themselves, and the expansion of the Romulans would quickly make the territory inaccessible to archaeology. Quite possibly, all the clues lay on the Romulan side of the RNZ, making them off limits to meddling outsiders for the past couple of hundred years - and perhaps for the past two thousand years, too, depending on how territorial the Romulans were back then.

As for why nobody found the place before the Romulans claimed the turf, I'll just speculate that the destroyers of Iconia were themselves destroyed so utterly that a major archaeological effort on top of a major archival dig would be required to verify even the existence of Iconia, let alone its location. It's not as if anybody found much of the Tkon, either...

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

The Encyclopedia agrees with Timo, re Iccobar.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Something to delete when I Photoshop the maps into one giant wall-covering tapersty for my art room?

Any other tweaks/revisions you guys would make (other than the Dominion stuff, which I already have in mind and will post as it progresses).

The Iconians might not originate from the world they called "Iconia" at all, you know- it coud have been just a transportation hub for them or some other visible target to their local enemies.

Or it could have served as some sort of a "gateway amplifier" to increase range- sort of like how the Borg have thir Transwarp Hub- with it destroyed, the Iconians might have been cut-off from the Beta Quadrant.

Iconians might still be living peacefully in the great unexplored parts of the galaxy or chillin' in the Greater Magellic cloud- away from distracting orbital bombardments from primitave screwheads.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps