Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » $$REVENGE OF THE SITH$$ (Page 6)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  14  15  16   
Author Topic: $$REVENGE OF THE SITH$$
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:

And the Wookie sequences felt like they had no purpose other than to make sure some Wookies were in the movie.

And there was no trailer for Serenity! Just, what, Lord of the Rings 4: The Jesus Lion? (TAKE THAT OXFORD.)

Fuck Fuck FUCK! You got to see the Chronicles of Narnia preview!?! Awww!

We got The Fantastic Four. (Did the woman always have some sort of 'ghostly pushing power'? I thought she just turned invisible? I'm sure there's some sort of Feminist Studies thesis in there somewhere).

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She's had forcefields since, er, the 1970s I think. Pretty much exactly the same as Violet from The Incredibles.

(And yes, there have been studies pointing out that early female super heroes had a tendency towards passive and/or non physical superpowers. Yay studies.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think the Dictionary is saying that Force lightning, for whatever reason, either originates from or is conducted through the hands, which would probably destroy his artificial limbs.
I'm sure some species don't HAVE hands. Surely the Force doesn't differentiate based on body shape.

quote:
I don't think the hand motion is something that has to be done to utilize the Force. Rather, it's a technique taught to Jedi trainees when they're young to help them conceptualize what they're trying to accomplish. Since they learn to use motions in concert with the Force so young in life, its something so ingrained to most Jedi, that they continue to use these motions even when there is no use for them.
Or, taking it a step further, they might have done it so long that they don't believe they CAN do things any other way. Some sort of psychological block. But now we're getting into random speculation.

quote:
Do they have an edit of the Phantom Menace I read about ages ago - where they basically cut most of "Yipee" Anakin and Jar Jar Binks scenes and the Jar Jar Binks scenes that ARE left in his voice is scrambled and he is given subtitles to make him sound more wise than he is?
There are a few edits like that, I think, but yeah, MagnoliaFan's is among them. Jar Jar still has most of his scenes, I think, but with all his lines replaced he's much less annoying. He also swears, which is great. Being chased down the battlefield by the big energy balls after the Gungans are retreating, yelling "SHIT! SHIT!" is priceless. Or cheering Anakin on in the podrace, "GO, you little bastard!" Oh, and they replaced/added music to the pod race, it's the trench run now. And it's SOOOO much more fun.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
She's had forcefields since, er, the 1970s I think. Pretty much exactly the same as Violet from The Incredibles.

(And yes, there have been studies pointing out that early female super heroes had a tendency towards passive and/or non physical superpowers. Yay studies.)

I was also thinking along the lines of "the woman turns invisible".

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's seems a pretty good definition of "passive" to me.

The internet being what it is, we can discover that Mrs. Reed's forcefields were a John Byrne innovation, introduced I guess sometime in 1981, the year he took over the comic book.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Anakin also does a (rather extreme) Force Choke right at the end of Clone Wars while missing a hand completely. Which was quite cool.

I don't think that Palpatine was unable to turn off Force Lightning in RotS. He was trying to get Anakin to attack Windu, remember. He could very well have not been putting up a huge fight just to force Anakin to act. Certainly, he seems right as rain when he blows Windu out of the building.

(We also don't see it damaging him in, er, Return The Of Jedi. I'd say the massive fall into the Bottomless Chasm of Despair was more dangerous.)

I dont know....he's stuck in his Wicked Witch pose while Vader goes for the bodyslam record of the galaxy.

You'd think he would have turned it off and just used the force to rip Vader's respirator off or something more effective.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He had like five seconds and those were filled with astonishment mixed with panic, combined with Vader's potentially stinging skin-grab below Palp's armpits, probably making him shoot sparks on general instinct (one of my Bujinkan-senseis did that to me once, using an example of surprise and concentration-breaking by grabbing the skin between my ribs and armpits, lifting me and then taking me down. The hairs in the back of my neck stood up for five minutes).

I love the Emperor's panic scream there, by the way, very haunting and later perfectly repeated when he's sent tumbling over a chair by Yoda in "ROTS". That really made me feel like "Wow, I'm watching these old people do their thing again and they've still got it".

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
That's seems a pretty good definition of "passive" to me.

The internet being what it is, we can discover that Mrs. Reed's forcefields were a John Byrne innovation, introduced I guess sometime in 1981, the year he took over the comic book.

Yes, I meant more along the lines of "woman should not be seen/get back in the kitchen" type of thing for the feminist thesis. [Smile]

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the bluey-greeny Twi'lek (Luminara Unduli? Aayla Secura?) Jedi's death was pretty unglorious. She didn't even get her lightsaber lit before the clone troopers let loose.

(EDIT: More info about possible names)

[ May 29, 2005, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: Balaam Xumucane ]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah- that sucked. They kept shooting her after she was dead too!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

That was a weird planet they were on - Ayala Secura I think her name is... looked like a giant garden.

I think either Luminara Unduli or Baris Offee?? Were on Kashyyyk with Yoda.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I liked that planet- Kashyyk and the world jedi conehead died on could have been earth for all their uniqueness.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bridge that Ki-Adi-Mundi (conehead) died on reminded me of Halo.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or Stalingrad.

Luminara was on Kashyyyk with the Swamp-scout clones and Yoda, but I don't remember seeing her in the movie. I've seen pictures of her there, though, so it's probably going to be on the DVD.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

She's there - to the left of screen looking at a map/battleplan - with some clone troopers I think.

In that visual encyclopaedia thing - Shaak Ti's picture is there - but surely she's not in the movie - having been vanquished just moments before the movie begins?

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  14  15  16   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps