Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » $$REVENGE OF THE SITH$$ (Page 8)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  14  15  16   
Author Topic: $$REVENGE OF THE SITH$$
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Palpy's face is not messed up during his appearances as Sideous in the previous episodes. There are production shots of him in the hood with clearer lighting, and his face is just his normal appearance. That doesn't mean the character doesn't looked twisted under the hood, it just means the actor wasn't wearing twisted makeup at the time.

The only problems I remember having with McGregor's performance was during the discovery of the security recordings. That scene had zero emotional impact for me. The "You were the chosen one" speech was good, I thought.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may help with R2-D2's not being mindwiped as well, but, who KNOWS that Anakin has become Darth Vader? Even if Yoda and Kenobi don't know his new name (can't remember if they heard it or not), they certainly made the connection. Everyone else may assume that Vader is a new Sith that came along and killed Anakin along with the others.

B.J.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bail Organa would certainly have been told that Anakin became Palpatine's new apprentice, whether they know his name yet or not. Kenobi and Yoda may also end this movie believing that Anakin is dead. For all Kenobi knows, he went up like a match. Eventually, rumors would get around to them about the Emperor's new man in black. Kenobi certainly knows who he is in Ep 4.

This brings up the question of how much do people know about the Emperor's tie to the Sith? The Imperial officers seem to know that Vader is a Sith Lord, but they also treat Force abilities with minor disdain. "Sorceror's ways". It seems unlikely that the Emperor woudl reveal his connection with a notedly evil group while trying to secure power. And noone really knew of his playing both sides in the war except Dooku, even Anakin didn't.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
R2-D2 can have his beeps translated, though. So if he wanted to tell Luke about his father he could.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True. But Artoo isn't that kind of droid. Free will and all that. He does what he's told - and I'm willing at some point he was told not to tell.

Twenty years is a long time - and I've accepted that it's time enough, movie-wise, to "make things right".

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It seems unlikely that the Emperor would reveal his connection with a notedly evil group while trying to secure power. And noone really knew of his playing both sides in the war except Dooku, even Anakin didn't.
Well, the Sith are evil according to the Jedi. But the Jedi are evil according to the heroic Emperor - and he has plenty of material from the "Jedi coup attempt" to back up the claim. The average Joe may not find the concept of the Sith particularly troubling, and can dismiss rumors about their past horrors as Jedi propaganda.

As for who actually knows what Palpatine did... Many of the clones ought to have an inkling, after witnessing the battlefield events - they are very obedient, but they aren't nonsapient. But if they are as easily "reprogrammed" or "turned off" as the Separationist droids, then the information should be easily contained. Something must have happened to the clones anyway, in a relatively short time, since in the final montage the military is shown to consist of varied "humans" even before Luke is delivered to Tatooine...

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, just the bridge crew aboard that ship, right? For all we know the Republic's navy was made up of some regular folk even during the Clone War(s).
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: Sideous' face:

There was that transition/force lightening bit - and that didn't sit right to me - the scene didn't show him 'ageing' or 'melting' - it was if a mask was blown away. Looking at the visual dictionary in the book store yesterday - that is what is said - the force lightning reveals Palpatine's TRUE FACE.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

One of the Imperial officers says to Vader in Ep4 that the Jedi are gone from the galaxy and that Vader is the last of their religion. He seemed to be talking about all Force users since Vader had just got done extoling the power of the Force in general, not the Sith. It also seems apparent that Vader's former Jedi membership is common knowledge, at least among the Imperial ranks. But viewing these statements in the light of Eps 1-3, Palpatine could very easily be viewed simply as the Chancellor-cum-Emperor who has the last loyal Jedi in his service. There needn't be anything supernatural about him. His pretence of innocence is also not that important anymore, though, now that he has pretty much complete power.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obi-wan and Anakin heard the name Vader in the security recording of Anakin kneeling to Palpatine. "Consumed by Darth Vader he has been," or somesuch. But yeah, I don't think we have any reason to believe R2 knows Darth Vader = Anakin, at least not unless he overhears the conversation with Dead Ben in ep6.
Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And... does R2 even know that Anakin is father? [Smile]

That's rather unlikely, but, who knows...

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or he heard some comments between Ben, Bail and Yoda after leaving Anakin to die on the lava planet.

R2 had to know something was afoot and something was different. Jedi temple destroyed, Anakin in league with Palpatine, Anaking flies off to the lava world with R2 on some mission for Palpatine. R2 then retrieved by Ben and company and leaves the lava world without Anakin. Anakin and Padme's twins are separated at birth and taken in secret to adoptive parents...

Plus he could have had opportunity to converse with 3P0 before his memory was wiped.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kazeite:
And... does R2 even know that Anakin is father? [Smile]

That's rather unlikely, but, who knows...

C3P0's father, right? Luke's half brother?

Tarkin was the one that said Vader was "the last of that religion", but that might just refer to his reverence towards the force and not the ability to manipulate it.
Tarkin was Vader's boss (somehow), so I'm sure he was "in the loop" on what Palpaltine was capable of.

Strangely, most of the EU nad gaming stuff refers to Palpy as being a "humans only" sort of bigot, but all his right hand men in I-III are (except taht sap Doku) not human.

I wonder why the switch...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, his NT plans hinged rather heavily on getting all his right-hand men KILLED...

Okay, perhaps Darth Maul was not supposed to die, or at least his death served no obvious purpose in Palpatine's designs. But all the Separatist associates of his were sacrificial lambs from Day One of the plan. And whatever supporters he had in the Senate became fairly irrelevant once he gained power.

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant the blue guy with the horns and the creepy bald chick mainly.
The asian sterotype aliens were obviously expendable from the start.

I'm still notconvinced that Doku knew Palpaltine and Sideous were the same guy.
He was a sap- at least Darth Maul seemed to have Sideous' confidence.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  14  15  16   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps