Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I am Young and Insane and require your validation. (Page 8)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: I am Young and Insane and require your validation.
Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Punt stops becoming legal tender after the sixth week of the year, halfway through February, so yeah, the bastards'll probably hike the price up to 3.50 euros.

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The exchange rate between the Punt and the Euro is 1:1.27, so without doing a calculation, the price will probably be about 3 euros. (I don't have the Euro symbol on my keyboard).

A lot of people I've met are against the Euro, but I'm all for it. What do the other Europeans think about the change?

------------------
The Worlds Ten Greatest 'Fucks' #5

I thought I could smell some fucking petrol! - Nikki Lauda

[This message has been edited by Orion Syndicate (edited March 15, 2001).]

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no, lover boy, no. The publicans will most likely ramp up the price in the confusion of the first three weeks or so.

Some places in Dublin actually charge over three squids already for drinks. It's getting obscene.

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure. The Euro's not doing very well. Of course, it would probably do a fair bit better if the pound was assimilated.

Mainly though, I hate the name. I'd have prefered anything over Euro. Hell, even European Dollar would have been better.

Thinking about this, is there a name for one hundreth of a Euro? Are we going to end up saying "5 euros and 37 pence?", or are we going to be buying bags of crisps that cost "point 50 euros"?

And that IS expensive beer. In Liverpool, providing you don't go to a trendy wannabe-London pub/club place, the pints will all be under �2.00. Dunno about Guiness, but I guess it would be the same.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen price tags in Euros in Brussels. . . seem to remember they had decimals, or just rounded up.

------------------
"I never saw the TAS, there actually was sex on the bridge?"

- Matrix, 14/03/2001

Orion Syndicate
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GA darling: I'm sure the publicans and other retailers will try to rip you off but that's where you as consumers come in. I'm sure many of you will be able to convert currencies using the exchange rate from the Punt to the Euro. Use that as a basis and ask if you're not sure. The EU has recommended that in the first month and a half of the introduction (dual currency stage), prices should be shown in both national currencies and the Euro. Although this isn't compulsory, if someone refuses to do this then you should ask a few more questions to be sure. Besides, dual pricing would be good business IMHO and also in the opinion of the EU. If you think someones ripping you off, you could also go somewhere else. When their pockets are hit, I'm sure any profiteers will be forced to reduce their prices to a fair level. The moral of the story: Be prepared and don't take any shit from them!

Liam: As I understand it, the sub-unit of the Euro will be the cent. This however shouldn't be taken as gospel because I've been reading about other stuff too like the rounding up of prices to whole units. I don't quite understand how they'll be able to make this work, especially for small confectionary items, but we'll see how it ends up. The cent would seem to be the logical unit. With regards to your other point, I agree that 'Euro' is an ugly name for the currency, but I suppose it's better than the 'ECU' from which they changed it. The Euro has also picked up in the last couple of months, but is mainly due to the downturn in the US rather than a strengthening of the Euro itself. In Britain, we still have a long way to go, so hopefully the Union will be able to do something about it in time.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Orion Syndicate (edited March 15, 2001).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can cope with "cent". I can see "penny" actually staying on as slang, the same way that a 1 cent piece in the US can be called a "penny".

And yeah, ECU was even worse. It made you sound like a bloody German clearing his throat.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the context of currency, was it spelled out (E-C-U) or pronounced? (eechkkuuu!)

------------------
Not even a god can deny that I have squared the circle of a static Earth and cubed the Earth sphere by rotating it once to a dynamic Time or Life Cube.
--
Gene Ray
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" Or don't. You know, whatever.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just pretend that "Euro" is short for "European dollar". Will that make you feel better? :-)

Oh, and excuse my uninformedness, but WTF is a "punt"?

------------------
"...I know this board in secret, intimate ways which are beyond your comprehension.... Let's just say that people should *not* be telling me what to do; it should always be the other way around."
-"Red Quacker", conspiracy theorist and contemporary lunatic

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, you can do a Euro symbol in HTML by typing "€". €€€€€€

------------------
"...I know this board in secret, intimate ways which are beyond your comprehension.... Let's just say that people should *not* be telling me what to do; it should always be the other way around."
-"Red Quacker", conspiracy theorist and contemporary lunatic

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get a funny little square.

------------------
"I WANT A POST VOY SERIES STAR TREK ORIGINAL MESSAGE WAS LOOKING FORWARD NOT LOOKING BACK."

-Darkstar

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited March 15, 2001).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Euro symbol looks like a Son'a battleship.

------------------
Not even a god can deny that I have squared the circle of a static Earth and cubed the Earth sphere by rotating it once to a dynamic Time or Life Cube.
--
Gene Ray
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" Or don't. You know, whatever.

Orion Syndicate
Member # 25

Simon: It was pronounced ECU (ekku), not E-C-U. Someone wasn't feeling very creative that day anyway, so in a meeting designed to name the new European Currency Unit, some bright spark came up with ECU. I prefer Euro anyway - bring it on.

Tim: Thanks for the tip.

------------------

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. <€>

------------------

- Matrix, 14/03/2001

Lee
Member # 393

Cool! And you don't need the brackets either? €

------------------

- Matrix, 14/03/2001

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps