Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Shot across the bows (Page 4)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Shot across the bows
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And this is why I don't come into the Flameboard...

I'll admit, just from what I saw over the past couple weeks, I thought Lee was becoming a bit erratic, too. And I didn't even know about these apparent malicious e-mails and such.

However, I think the problem here is this suspension. CC says he did it to help Lee. But, to everyone else, a forced suspension is something that happens as a punishment. Perhaps, if CC had asked Lee to take some time off voluntarily, or something to that effect, everyone wouldn't have gotten the impression that Lee had been kicked out. And I think that's exactly the impression people are getting, and that's why they're so mad about it.

I want to assert that I mean no offense by this, but I think CC has a tendency, sometimes, to take action w/o knowing what consequences will come of it. We have a perfect example right in front of us: Daryus. CC's already admitted that he suspended Daryus before he knew exactly what had happened. I'll admit, if he suspected Daryus of malice in corrupting the profile database, it may have been a wise precaution to take away his admin privileges. However, the mistake came in blatantly announcing it to the entire Forums. He didn't forsee that Daryus might be innocent and that these rash actions could make CC look bad (and, I think, help people to second-guess his suspension of Lee).

Another example has already been mentioned: the Destroyer of Forums. CC masterminded the destruction of the SFCR, but didn't admit it. At the time, this probably seemed like a good idea, as he would have gotten in trouble if his role was known. However, he didn't know then that, later, when his part in it would be revealed during his fight w/ Adam, the fact that he had lied about it would cause people to distrust him.

Basically, what I'm saying is that CC has done things in the past that, through lack of foresight, have backfired on him, despite his intentions. Lee's suspension falls into the same category. The situation was handled poorly, and it angered people. Where there's anger, there are people taking sides. And when people take sides, we end up w/ flame wars, just like this thread. I'd like to suggest that, rather than continuing to fling the proverbial mud at one another, we try to come up w/ a solution to this problem that is as satisfactory as possible to all involved. Can we try to resolve something peacefully for once?

------------------
"Their 'flower power' is no match for my glower power!"
-C. Montgomery Burns, The Simpsons

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I agree for the most part, although it's always a good idea to announce stuff like the Daryus suspension so people know what's going on instead of finding out later in a less-than-optimal situation.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Ou tou kratountos h� polis nomizetai" - Creon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. This is much more fun then the rest of my day.

Wait for it...wait for it...

Not!

There isn't really anything more to be said. Nothing constructive anyway. What's done is done. Nothing's more unhealthy then a fixation with the unchangeable past.

------------------
"I wish that everything went just as I wish everything would go."
--
John Linnell

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Party true, but I'm still aching to hear who reported Lee seding these 'malicious e-mails', cause I think I've heard that story one too many times...

And are you really saying that the message Lee said while moving Boris' thread was cruel and heartless? Because if so then someone needs to get some fucking balls and stop crying.

------------------
"Obesity. Adiposity. Corpulence. Whatever word you use, it represents one thing: being a big fatass."

Geraldo Rivera

[This message has been edited by PsyLiam (edited December 09, 1999).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lance Nutter says he received such an email, but unfortunately he deleted it.

Liam, not everyone appreciates being abused as much as you do.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sees that special someone laughing his head off while having sex at his computer*

The board is CC's, every admin. head of anything makes a lot of mistakes. If I cared, I'd be very upset that everyone is accusing everyone of something. I bet there's a growing thread over at SCI-FI ART right now taking shots at everyone here. If we want UP3 done we need to stop acting like children and grow up a little. I have been with you for 3+ years guys, it's time to stop the name calling.

And if you think I have my head up Charles' end too, let me ask you why would I? I think if you think about it hard enough you will not get a good answer?

*leaves to go read Lamentations*

------------------
With 17 hours of class, guess what I'm doing.

[This message has been edited by bryce (edited December 09, 1999).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"not everyone enjoys being abused as much as you Liam".

Ahem, care to explain that? And supply me with your definition of abuse too?

------------------
"Obesity. Adiposity. Corpulence. Whatever word you use, it represents one thing: being a big fatass."

Geraldo Rivera

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what? And maybe I'm just spouting off in my stressed out, freaked out, almost-over-the-edge scared-out-of-my-mind mood again that so MANY of you have seen this week, but serousy, there are WAY bigger problems in this world to freak out about than this. Problems IN THE WORLD... as in REAL LIFE.... this is just the Internet... it's just a fancy Bulletin Board... and as much as I LOVE it here, I really hate seeing all of this fighting because it's JUST THE INTERNET. This, in the grand scheme of things that happen in our world EVERY day, is nothing... I still don't know the full story (probably don't WANT to)but to me it seems like a matter of communications getting crossed or messed up somewhere along the way. Whatever happened here happened. Maybe everyone (as in EVERYONE) should just step back, let things get back into focus, stop calling names (or NOT calling names) and just let it all be, okay?

Then maybe we can get back to doing our happy Flare posting and worrying about things that are really important in life..... like you know.... things IN REAL LIFE....... well, that's my two cents as of now..... take them as you want them.....

*looks at Bryce* Maybe I should go read Lamentations, too.... he might be on to something.....

~LOA

------------------
"...my body is weak and I can't take the struggle anymore...
the love that was here is filled up by anger and rage..." ~FOM

Men Suck. Except Ben & Jerry.... *smile*

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a vaguely related note...what are the Lamentations? Any relation to the...erm..last book of the Bible? (I forgot the name) Sorry I'm not religious....but curious.

And I'm agreeing with Liam here.
CC is obviously human, we all are. However like it was pointed out, arbitrary punishments with next to no explanations do not help.

------------------
No I'm Spartacus!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm glad to see we're all working so hard on a constructive solution. Keep up the good work... *rolls eyes*

Oh, and Lamentations is a book of the bible, but it's in the old testament. The one at the end is Revelations. I don't think there's really any relation between them.

------------------
"Their 'flower power' is no match for my glower power!"
-C. Montgomery Burns, The Simpsons

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally have just about had it. This whole argument is getting way out of hand. You are all saying that the admins need to be able to have opinions then you slam CC for having one. His opinion was that Lee was getting out of hand and something needed to be done. Granted an all out suspension may not have been the best idea but it was done so GET OVER IT. What needs to happen know is a discussion between Lee, CC, and the rest of the admins to determine what the next course of action should be. The rest of use should sit down, shut up, and let the higher ups work it out.

As for UP3 those of use who are working on it need to talk more. Silence is not a virtue in this case. The more we talk, the more we get done, the faster we get the worlds largest Star Trek database up and running.

I've now had my say in this whole stinking mess, and hopefully given everyone something to think about.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Liam: Unnecessarily insulting forum members is abuse.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lamentations are 5 sets of poetry describing the sorrow after the walls of Jerusalem fell.

We are we going to continue arguing about the matter or are we going to let it go. We will all know the truth eventually anyways, can't we wait.

------------------
With 17 hours of class, guess what I'm doing.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I've been busy all day, or I would have done this earlier.

Charles says he had third person evidence about the E-mail's, but no one can produce one.

Frank had a bit from the chat that sounded more like frustration then anything else. To say that he was trying to sabotage the progect is ludicrous.

I used to defend Charles when trouble started. I defended him during The Vorlon mess, backed him in the SFCR mess, and the one time I asked for a little understanding from him, he told me to piss off, in so many words. I left, but I missed the rest of you so badly that I came back after a couple of weeks. The trvth had come out about SFCR in those two weeks, and I felt doubley cheated, but I like this group, and still I came back. Now I don't know what to think. I know for sure that I don't want anymore to do with UPIII.

When I first came here, my first day on the internet, I didn't know anything about spoilers, and took a shot from the USS Coyote(Lee's old nick)for it. But I learned. He's abrasive, we've known that all along, and it seems strange to me that it has become a problem so suddenly. I still haven't seen a good reason for the suspension.

Tec: sorry you and the other newer members have had to see all this, but it happens every so often, usually centerd around Charles.

I could go on and on, but I have to be at the bowling alley in a few minutes. I will still be around after this, but mostly in the background. I only wish I'd had a little more time.

Ed Toler

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

[This message has been edited by Kosh (edited December 09, 1999).]

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm far from new. I've been around since UP1 and have dipped in again in the forums many stages. I've seen this before here and else were.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps