Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Shot across the bows (Page 5)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Shot across the bows
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regardless of his intention, Lee was explicitly telling people to abandon the project.

Lance Nutter can tell us about the letter he got, if Fabrux or someone can convince him.

And the fact that Lee has been "abrasive" for so long is why he isn't current fit to be an admin.

BTW, in case there's any confusion, keep in mind that Lee was only removed as admin. It was his own choice to leave the board, and he's welcome back at any time, I assume.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Ou tou kratountos h� polis nomizetai" - Creon

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off: apologies to CC as I am going to reveal transcripts of our conversation in regards to Lee and Daryus

I ask him why he suspended Lee almost immediately. I had suggested that he talk to the Mod Council WITHOUT Lee to get an opinion.

CC: 'Twas an on the fly decision, I felt that I had to take action immediately before Lee did something bad. By bad I mean destructive.

Me: Explain

CC: In... *counts* three mouseclicks, any admin can wipe out the entire board. Every post.
In a half dozen more, an admin can wipe out every member on the board.

Me: Well what kind of actions would suggest that Lee would do such a thing?

CC: He deleted two posts that were only GENERALLY anti-him. Deleting posts in the first place is a terrible offence. Tell me, when someone posts something nasty about me, do I delete it? No, of course not. That is board policy. Lee attacked Boris. Boris prodded Lee back. Lee deleted the post. Boris protested. Lee deleted that. I suspended Lee. Had I not, I don't know what the hell he would have done next. I'm not saying he woudl have screwed the board over, but I don't believe it could have been good.

At this point I felt that CC had a very valid point to make.

This next portion of our conversation talks about Daryus's suspension:

Me: So why did Daryus do it? I'm under the impression that it was bad judgement.

CC: Bad judgement.. understatement. *He asks me why I think so*

Me: Perhaps he thought the upgrades made to the UBB would protect the profiles if Lee's profile was removed.

*conversation drags on*

Me: What about Daryus? My theory was that he was only helping Lee in deleting his profile, and not for the purpose of corrupting profiles. He probably thought that the profile problems wouldn't be that bad..........

CC: Right now I can't assume anything. I need to speak to him.

There you go. Let your judgement decide.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank is correct, if Lee wants to come back and post, then all he needs to do is ask me to reactivate his profile.

------------------
Jubes, holding dinner: "What will you give me for the food?"
Me: "My virginity..."
-- Actual quote

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Charles' made two on the fly decisions, one based on the fact that Lee "might" destroy the forums. Hmm, now who else do we know that's done that?

And Lee, for his part, denies ever sending out any abusive e-mails to people. This isn't the first time someones been accused of that.

Personally, I don't hink that suspension of Admins should be a spontanious decision. It should at least be discussed with the other Admin first.

------------------
"Obesity. Adiposity. Corpulence. Whatever word you use, it represents one thing: being a big fatass."

Geraldo Rivera

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgot some other opinions:

While I support Lee's Suspension as admin, Lee should have been contacted first BEFORE the announcement be posted, in any case. This is just like posting a large "YOU'RE FIRED" sign in the middle of someone's office for everyone to see before the poor chap even gets there.

And I highly disagree of Daryus's suspension. My reasons are in the above transcript. Both suspensions should have been consulted first before acted upon.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited December 09, 1999).]

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charles admitted his actions against Daryus were taken quickly, and were wrong. I'll give him that. Tanha has given us his conversation with Charles, which is still no evidence.

To the people I told I would leave this alone: Again I'm sorry. I went and bowled a few games, had a few beers, and I'm still angry. I thought I would chill and get over it, but it didn't work.

This isn't the same as the problems we've had in the past. This is an admin getting blown off without any visable evidence.

Tec: again, I'm sorry, looks like you've been around longer then I have.

TSN: Good luck with the admin job, you're goning to need it.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's right TSN. Don't do anything daring, controversial, slightly interesting, or humerous in the slightest.

------------------
"Obesity. Adiposity. Corpulence. Whatever word you use, it represents one thing: being a big fatass."

Geraldo Rivera

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look, CC made some mistakes. Just about everybody here seems to agree w/ that. So how many times are you all going to just repeat it over and over? What do you want done about it? You seem to have plenty of opinons on how things should have been done, but it's a little too late for that now. If nobody has any opinions on what should be done now, I don't see how this thread holds any more purpose.

And I think you're right that I'll need that good luck. All anyone around here seems to be able to do is insult one another and whine about things that have already happened. There's a whole bunch of babies here and I'm the new sitter...

------------------
"Their 'flower power' is no match for my glower power!"
-C. Montgomery Burns, The Simpsons

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and don't think that I'm being insulting now. I'm just making an analogy, not calling anyone a baby, as such.

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO, if any admin is a threat to the board, no matter how minor the threat, there's a major problem, since (as CC pointed out) they can potentially cause a lot of damage (even just by saying things). This is why I support the decision to remove Lee, and why I'm wary of Daryus...he caused problems with the board while doing stuff he really shouldn't have been doing in the first place.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Okay, on a relevent note, is what TSN did now neccessary? Every time someone makes a point that might be seen as being insulting, they have to apologise in advance in case they upset anyone? That's gonna be fun.

------------------

Geraldo Rivera

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one thing to remember is people get over being mad.
Things here are going to be hot for a few days or even weeks. What needs to happen is no more rash behavior. No more jumping the gun and no more jumping in other peoples sh*t so to speak. We all know what side everyone is on, now all we need is for that one special person to be the first to just let it go. It doesn't matter who, just when. Lets stop it now because I don't want to use my future teacher power and keep everyone in during recess.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been trying to stay out of this, but I think a little sanity (I know, I know, that's all the sanity I ever have, but...) is needed here. Look, Charles admited his mistake in relation to Daryus, and I'm assuming he apologized (*seems to remember reading that he did somewheres, but isn't sure*). That should take care of that problem. That leaves Lee. It seems, based on the available evidence, that Charles jumped the gun here, too, by announcing it before talking to Lee, and by effectively firing him and not just telling him to take a leave of absence.

Saying someone's dangerous and suspending them for the good of others is way different than saying that someone needed a break, and ordering them to take one for their own good. One makes you feel rather crappy. Guess which one. I'd suggest, Charles, that you talk to Lee, and at least try to apologize. Good luck to you.

------------------
Mephistopheles's Repossessions and Furnace Works
C/O
Mephistopheles, Cain, Brutus, Medici, Torquemada, Richelieu,
Metternich, Tweed, Rasputin & Daley, Attorneys-at-Law
1 Perdition-on-the-Styx Plaza
Dis, The Nether Regions

"A Hell of a Law Firm"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

It was because he needed a break that Lee was dangerous. Note that, again, he could have had his job back once he decided to do it properly, and it was his decision to leave instead.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Liam: Well, if you're offended by an attempt at common courtesy, that's your problem.

Frank: It was Lee's erratic behavior that caused the suspension in the first place. Are you really that surprised that he didn't take it well?

------------------

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps