Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » new hand phaser for nemesis? (Page 9)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: new hand phaser for nemesis?
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you're gonna dig through the script, trot out something modestly useful
There are useful things in that script?

Though yes, your Picard Quote is better. Curses.

koy'peled Oy'tio
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for koy'peled Oy'tio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

What ever happened to the thumb phaser you know the type one that they are suppose to conceal. I saw nothing wrong with the little one. It still had vaporize capability (up to the 8th setting) Why not improve the capability of a smaller phaser? Why use a bigger version when there is a smaller one? Oh, right the fear factor.

[Roll Eyes] *civilian style voice*
Everybody run! A big, bulky more sleek version of the other phaser were afraid of!

Compare

New version
 -

Old version
 -

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While it might be a nice weapon for a discreet diplomatic mission, a 'cricket' phaser on the battlefield could be quite ineffective. It's so small, it would either get lost or break down.
That's why, in Real Life, army technology is usually not so focused on making things smaller and sleeker.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the TNG:TM said something about the little "hand phaser" having a very small power reserve.

Hmm... there was a reason that I bought the Tech Manuals for myself a while ago...

*looks up "Phasers" in TNG:TM*

According to my calculations, the Type-2 phaser holds something like 6.25 times the energy of the Type-1. That's a huge boost when you're considering a combat situation with undetermined duration. And if it's wartime, you probably want to carry the rifle instead, since it has even larger reserves. (Which is exactly what they did on DS9, even if that's probably not what the producers were thinking.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

koy'peled Oy'tio
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for koy'peled Oy'tio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
While it might be a nice weapon for a discreet diplomatic mission, a 'cricket' phaser on the battlefield could be quite ineffective. It is so small; it would either get lost or break down.
That's why, in Real Life, army technology is usually not so focused on making things smaller and sleeker.

I probably should have made it clear the civilian was being attacked by someone with the type two phaser not the type one.

quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
According to my calculations, the Type-2 phaser holds something like 6.25 times the energy of the Type-1. That is a huge boost when you are considering a combat situation with undetermined duration. In addition, if it is wartime, you probably want to carry the rifle instead, since it has even larger reserves. (Which is exactly what they did on DS9, even if that is probably not, what the producers were thinking?)

*Opens Favorites menu, clicks DITL link, goes to weaponry, clicks phaser�s, looks up relatively canon information*

Ah...but according to temporal physics, some time has past since that model was in use, therefore they could probably reproduce superior technology within the same container/space and/or shape. [Big Grin] Therefore, your whole theory about �Huge boost�s� and changing the subject from general use to wartime strategy makes your argument void.
You�Are the weakest link�goodbye.

--------------------
"Explore New Worlds"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, perhaps some Starfleet Exo-Ergonomics Engineer found out a slightly larger grip was better.

--------------------

koy'peled Oy'tio
Member # 796

I'm not sure if you've noticed or not but the only species that the grips would be ergonomically incorrect for are the klingons...and i'm pretty sure they wouldn't care to hold a federation phaser anyway.

--------------------
"Explore New Worlds"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Don't forget the Xzrrgians. They are in Starfleet too, and have really large slimy tentacles! YES!

--------------------

koy'peled Oy'tio
Member # 796

ahem...and how would that help with a big long handle sticking out hmm:
The Score

Koy Master 4
Harry 3

--------------------
"Explore New Worlds"

Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
they quit using the cricket because it was hard for the blinder members of the viewing audience to see the thing in people's hands. who is this "master koy" you mentioned, troll?
IP: Logged
koy'peled Oy'tio
Member # 796

some guy i knew way back...waaayyy back.

--------------------
"Explore New Worlds"

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm unamused.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm QUITE amused, because this guy thinks he's so smart. [Roll Eyes]

Yes, I'm quite aware that the modified phaser casing might imply a slightly more advanced device. Would it make you more happy if I referenced the DS9:TM instead?
quote:
DS9:TM says:
The Type-2 phaser modifications include an improved sarium-krellide power cell, curved grip, and reinforced prefire chamber...

So, they put in a stronger battery and made the thing easier to handle. Whoop-de-do!

Furthermore, I was certainly not "changing the subject" because for two whole years, combat WAS the "general use" of the phaser. And when the hell would a phaser NOT be primarily used for combat? The goal for ANY type of weapon is to build one that provides sufficient firepower to defend from or defeat an enemy, and also be equipped with sufficient ammunition/power in order to maintain readiness for a reasonably long amount of time. There is no reason for those principles to change, ever.

I also find it quite amusing that you'd try to trump a TNG:TM argument with something from DITL. No matter how "official" that guy might present his stuff as (even with the semi-convenient but gaudy coloring system), it's still nothing but interpretation.

You have much to learn, young padawan.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DITL is about as canon as my looseleaf notebook.

and how do you knowabout Klingon ergonomics.. last i checked, Michael Dorn had used his regular bone and muscle hand structure to hold Federation phasers for many many years.. unless you read on a fanboy imaginated website he couldnt

and whats with this lame geek-upsmanship contest? are you trying to piss people off now? go use TrekBBS at least until you turn 12, kid.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

The End Score

Couple-O-Toys: -2349190
The rest: 47

--------------------

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps