Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » new hand phaser for nemesis? (Page 6)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: new hand phaser for nemesis?
capt ussintrepid
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for capt ussintrepid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the model makers at AA indicated that they'd seen the props and that the eBay images were pretty accurate.

Whether the technical specs of the weapon have changed is anyone's guess I suppose. I can see a case either way.

Be interesting to hear what the guys in the know have to say about it.

--------------------
"Time is short. And so is my temper."

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean THIS?
quote:
Originally posted by koy'peled Oy'tio:
Anyway i don't get the big deal about this new hand phaser...all it is is an upgraded version of what the set was using before nothing to bring out the schematics for or anything.

I don't even understand it. I assume you're saying that it's a simple upgrade of the FC design. Of course the two are similar, but the point is, it seems to be a different prop. The thread was started because some of us dig seeing new stuff. Some of us even make websites about new stuff.

The Trek explanation for the new design will probably never be given, but a small efficiency or power upgrade might cause a new model to be designed. Art types are always looking for reason to make cool stuff.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i eccept my position in this forum, but i've been lurking latly and came back at the wrong time, perhapes nobody noticed my points

Your novel's due out when?

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by capt ussintrepid:
the model makers at AA

Drunks designing props. Well.

I suppose that does tend to explain the Worfzooka, doesn't it.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

BWC
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
When did I say I was accepted?

(OffTopic ends now!)

And about phasers, it seems to me that is is just laziness on TPTB's part that they wanted to use the Endgame phaser, because that was supposed to be in the 2400's, right? And what's wrong with the old borgkiller from First Contact?

IP: Logged
capt ussintrepid
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for capt ussintrepid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
quote:
Originally posted by capt ussintrepid:
the model makers at AA

LOL, OK no more abbreviating Art Asylum. Though you're right, it certainly would explain Worf's whatever it was [Smile]

Anyway, looking at the few released promo pics from Nemesis, there are a few (barely discernible) views of the hand phaser. To me it looks as though they may have shrunk it a bit as well.

--------------------

capt ussintrepid
Member # 807

quote:
Originally posted by BWC:
When did I say I was accepted?

(OffTopic ends now!)

And about phasers, it seems to me that is is just laziness on TPTB's part that they wanted to use the Endgame phaser, because that was supposed to be in the 2400's, right? And what's wrong with the old borgkiller from First Contact?

Personally, I think they just wanted a new prop to market, given Art Asylum now has the license for Trek toys. And I guess the Endgame phaser is as good as any. Though frankly I don't see why there was any need to change it. Ah well.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laziness? Or maybe a touch of continuity. There was no need to change the com badges for Generations either. They did it so there's a touch of newness to some of the things. Personally, I'd much rather see a slightly different phaser than totally revamped uniforms again. Don't get me wrong... I love the FC unis... they just need to stick around for awhile.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

capt ussintrepid
Member # 807

Nice to see some positive continuity actually.

Either way, I like them, they're a nice updating. I wasn't convinced at first, but the supposed Nemesis paintjob makes a big difference. At least to me.

As for the uniforms, I agree. It's way too soon to change them again. New tech is, I guess, a nice subtle change.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed there. The FC uniforms haven't gotten much mileage out of them, compared to the DS9/VOY jumpsuits. 2.5 years on DS9, two (now three) movie appearances, and a smattering of guest usages on Voyager isn't much. I'm guessing that out of all the uniforms they have piled up in the Paramount closet, the FC uniforms are probably the least worn and thus would make most sense for showing up on various extras in an inevitable Enterprise episode. This I swear.

As for the phaser, I'm good with that too. Technically speaking, the current type-II phaser has been seen in use since Voyager's second, and DS9's mid-fourth seasons. This is now matching the lasting use of almost any phaser prop has been in service. It's predecessor lasted around 6.5 years (TNG seasons 3-7 plus one year or so). But of course, as far as we can tell the longest in-context service we've known for a phaser is the old Type 3/4 (or whatever Shane called it in Mr. Scott's Guide), which started in the movies and despite bieng replaced in the movie series, was in active use aboard the Enterprise-C in 2344 - over sixty years later! Anyway, most phasers tend not to last very long in their series, and so replacing it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said Mark. 8)

I don't have a problem with the idea of a new prop. But the end result as shown in the EBay photos, well, it seems to me a bit crap really. Maybe they're trying to move away from the standards set throughout TNG etc., hence the now gold-curvy look. But the actual gold-curvy look would be better suited to an alien weapon on Stargate SG-1 in my opinion, not a Starfleet weapon.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

koy'peled Oy'tio
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for koy'peled Oy'tio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Magnus Pym Eye:
i eccept my position in this forum, but i've been lurking latly and came back at the wrong time, perhapes nobody noticed my points

Your novel's due out when?

- properly tis tyme 203 ore ltter no i'n novemer ...

What about yours? Hmm? You know its funny I don't remember being put under a microscope.

Anyway, does any body know if the phaser fights will look the same as the ones on Enterprise? Also I have been noticing something about Schinzon's silhouette looks an awful lot like the dude in the suliban time room.

[ July 30, 2002, 09:01: Message edited by: koy'peled Oy'tio ]

--------------------
"Explore New Worlds"

capt ussintrepid
Member # 807

quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poet:
But the actual gold-curvy look would be better suited to an alien weapon on Stargate SG-1 in my opinion, not a Starfleet weapon.

Personally, I really dislike the oval buttons. Though you're right, there is a sort of alienish look to it. Then again, I could kind of see a very loose line of evolution from this to the 29th century phaser.

--------------------

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:

Hey, don't diss the Isomagnetic Thingy-majig. It's way bigger than a phaser, and does much less. The damn thing is the crowning achievement of dumb Starfleet engineering.

Personally, I think the Type-2 phaser of the DS9-FC era has reached its perfection in form. Any changes to it now would only make it uglier again. They might as well as build a completely new hand phaser model.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
properly tis tyme 203 ore ltter no i'n novemer ...
What the HELL DOES THAT MEAN???????

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps