Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sovereign class (Page 1)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Sovereign class
Marko Latin
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could use some info on the sovereign class' firepower and other stats that battles depend on...
And now many ships it could take on and win...

As what is the sovereign class registered? Dreadnought? Warship? Heavy Cruiser?

------------------
Dream on...in the end...dreams are everything...

IP: Logged
bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sovereign is an Explorer. (Blinks, smirks, and runs for cover.)

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sovereign is a Command Cruiser. She has 5 torpedo launchers, 12 Type-X Phaser strips, and could probably take on half the starship classes we know.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

Striker
Ex-Member

IMO, The Soverign could probably take any of the Major Power's classes out there one on one. It would have a tough time with a Defiant, just because it's so tough and manuverable.

------------------
-Striker
kob.diabloii.net

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, let's evaluate what we know about the Ent-E:

1) There appear to be no families aboard.
2) The ship is commanded by Picard, a diplomatic-type guy, and it was serving as a sort of diplomatic ship at the beginning of Insurrection
3) During the Dominion war, it didn't seem to be in any battles, nor was it defending anything
4) The ship still appears to be heavily armed and armored, seemingly doing well against the Borg ship attack in FC, and even apparently dropping its shields for a short while when beaming over the Defiant crew (although it was probably out of range of damage at that point).

I think the Sovereign is meant to be used to "keep the peace," so to speak (like SeaQuest). It's among the biggest-looking Starfleet ships, and can defend itself if a conflict arises, so it operates in potential problem areas. However, I guess it generally isn't meant to enter combat, unless the Ent-E is the exception instead of the rule. Sovereigns might be used as a command ship for planetary defense, too...well-defended, but not actually meant to engage in combat directly.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Ou tou kratountos h� polis nomizetai" - Creon

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen, Frankie.

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of Jemmie fighters could take on that thing. They're just too small and too fast to catch. Someone said that if the Defiant took the Enterprise E head on, of course the Defiant could win. The Enterprise-E is simply too big of a target to miss.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*charges Frank a royalty for using his seaQuest analogy*

IMHO, though, she's an Explorer. No real evidence to support this, but I just like the idea..

------------------
"Is this real life? Is this just fantasy?"
-Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The SeaQuest thing is Tom's, correct.

And the Sovereign probably isn't meant to do the same thing as the Galaxy.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Ou tou kratountos h� polis nomizetai" - Creon

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited February 12, 2000).]

Saboc
Ex-Member

How many Sover. vessels are there now? I personally think that the USS Sovereign becomes the Enterprise.

------------------
Spend all your time waiting for a second chance, a break that would make it ok...

Saboc
Ex-Member

By the way, why is it that everytime a new Enteprise is introduced, they make it bigger. (in this case, longer...) Size does not matter...(well, some of the times...)
I think that two Defiant and a Sabre can overtake the new Enterprise.

------------------
"The Founder is wise in all things..."
"We live to serve the Founders..."

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think smaller ships have that much of an advantage against a big one. Starfleet ships simply don't miss, not even against small and maneuverable opponents.

What it boils down to is how much pounding the shields can take. If it's just one or two shots, and big and small ships deliver *roughly* similar shots, then the numerous small ones always win, with their first volley. If it's dozens of shots, then the large one has enough time to fire on all the small ones and ward them off her hide. And we have VERY seldom seen ships succumb to just one or two shots when the shields are up.

I do think a smaller Enterprise would be nice for a change, too. But if they make it too small, then it logically has to be optimized for some specific mission; and that limits the possibilities in future movies. A happy medium could probably be found, tho.

As for what I think of the role of the E-E: she could be the forerunner for a new generation of "workhorses" like the Excelsiors or earlier Constitutions. It's just that she will stay somewhat "experimental" for the first few years before Starfleet decides to risk mass production. And in the meantime, the ship is tried out in a wide variety of roles, so that its strengths and weaknesses can be found.

If the ship was built for a given narrow mission profile from the beginning, she wouldn't be wasting her time on other mission types. And series production would already have begun, too. She *could* be a new explorer, but I wager the Galaxies and Nebulas still suffice in that role for a couple of decades. An Excelsior-succeeding jack-of-all-trades would be a "poor man's explorer" that excels in no mission but does them all; a true explorer like a Galaxy would be so overengineered that she does excel in all missions, the only drawback being the huge costs of operating her.

Timo Saloniemi

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have some stats on this...
But they're at home and I'm at university (d'oh!)
I'm going home tomorrow and if I get a modem for Xmas as promised, I will post them on here soon, else you'll have to wait til January. The stats are canon and were originally emailed to me by Roy Firestone of the (sadly demised) Galactic Engineers' Concordance...

------------------
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saboc: Ships don't change names without being decommissioned or without special dispensation from Command. The Sovereign is the Sovereign, the Enterprise is the Enterprise. There are probably at least two more by now.

Also, keep in mind that the Enterprise is the Federation Flagship. It should be the biggest and the best in the fleet.

The one part about this tradition that I don't understand is that after the destruction of the Ent C, Starfleet went about 20 years without an Enterprise in the Fleet. I guess that's another thread though.

As far as what the Ent. E was doing during the Dommie war beside hosting delegations of Fish People, I believe there is a book or series of books out called the Dominion War that has that info. Not canon, but until something better surfaces, why not? There's also a book called Ship of the Line that has the Ent E in it as well as Capt. Bateson.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

[This message has been edited by Aban Rune (edited December 20, 1999).]

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait...doesn't Roy Firestone work for ESPN?

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

[This message has been edited by The359 (edited December 20, 1999).]

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps