Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sovereign class (Page 9)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Sovereign class
Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd agree with Dhunter's last post... but...

Look back at the USS Constitution (present day US Navy flagship, "Old Ironsides"). She's doubtless the US Navy flagship, but I guarantee there's no admiral on board! The question isn't whether the Ent-E (or any Ent other than D, for that matter) was A flagship; was she THE flagship of the whole Federation?

I'd say Aban Rune's idea is much closer to the mark. Kirk's Enterprise had a tremendous effect on the UFP and Starfleet. I think that's the best evidence presented so far that Starfleet keeps an Enterprise as the flagship. Not that I AGREE that they do, I'm just saying it's the best evidence anyone's presented.

And, as Sol said, it's all speculation at this point anyway... what if the next movie is a VGR-themed story and we don't see the Ent-E at all! (Gasp!)

------------------
Dane

"...and there was war in heaven..." The Bible, Revelation 12:7

[This message has been edited by Dane Simri (edited January 04, 2000).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Conjecture all you want, but, basically, the only thing that we know is the E-D was the Starfleet flagship. That was explicitly stated on screen.

------------------
"...more people buy Harry Potter novels than the works of Alexander Pope, but that's no measure of their quality."
-Tom Aylward-Nally, December 29, 1999

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speak it Dane Simri!! Yeah we are talking about the Federation's flagship, not a specific squadron or admiral's flagship. We know such a thing exists because Picard said "She has no business serving on any Starfleet ship let alone the Flagship, MY ship!" about Ensign Ro in the ep of the same name.

(I think this is what you were reffering to TSN)

You seem to be getting a little flustered DHunter. We're all just having fun here. Calm down, take a breath, use some periods... =)

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Devilman
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AMEN TSN!

conjecture to the power of infinty!!!
thats a good description of this topic!

..just curious tangent though....
Remember the Battle of wolf359? That was supposed to be one of the biggest battles in Fedration History, yet how many ships were there fighting it????

Only a measly few, compared to the more recent (budgetly-boosted) battles on Deep Space Nine eps with the Dominion!

The 7th fleet had what - 114 ships or something???
Shit, thats heaps, and its only the SEVENTH FLEET!

And consider - when VGER (a borg subcollective) threated eary, the ld Enterprise was the ONLY ship i range - ONE SHIP defending earth?????? Guess there wasnt much ship back then eh?

Then in Generations, the Enty-B was the only ship in range to help the El-Aurian Refugees - and she was in Earths Solar System at the time! Anotehr case of 1 ship defending earth?? Years later, and it still seems like there are a lack of starships to go around!

So now, just a hundred years on or so, the federation fleet only seemed to have a few ships to defend earth agains its greatest threat - the Borg!

Suddenly, a couple of years later,its seems that hundreds of starships have been created!!!!!!
How else would these huge battles with the dominion be possible???

I agree that it seems unlikely that the Federation could pump out 25 sovvys in such a short space of time (for example), but there it is!

The ship building curve seems logarithmic!

IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, comparing ship buildups during war time to throwing together a seat of the pants offensive against a surprise attack by the Borg isn't really fair. They had to scrounge together whatever ships were in the vacinity of Sector 001 when the Borg attacked. However, the very fact that there are even battle fleets composed during the war prooves that Starfleet has now organized its ships for a war effort. Most likely the majority of exploratory and colonization activities were put on hold so those ships could join the various fleets.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually the USS Constitusion (US Navy) does have a commanding officer I believe , Commander Forestor if im not mistaken and the reason it is the Flagship is because it flies the Flag of the Secretary of Defence.

Starfleet is divided into fleets , we know this from several eps of Ds9 which spoke of the "7th Fleet" which is probobley the fleet assigned to Bajorian Sector , I think that when Picard said that the Enterprise was the Flagship he might have ment that it was the Flagship of a particular fleet. But taking into concideration the fact that Starfleet is almost totaly based on the US Navy im willing to concide to the idea of the Enterprise being the Flagship of Starfleet as a whole , The Enterprise probley represents the USS Constitusion of the US Navy seeing as they both were legendary ships .

Oh , If i came off flustered in my last posts , i didnt mean to , i just really like these discusions especialy in a place like flare where everyone is real nice , knows what they are talking about and has somthing to add to discusions instead of just critizing.

I mean where else can a discusion about the Sovereign Class get 120 Replies ? all of them excellant and really adding somthing to our knowledge of trek :-)

Anyway I just really wanted to thank everyone for giving me such a great welcome in true trek fashion .

Thank You Again.

------------------
"Marge .. Do you have other men in this House ? .. Radioactive men?"
~Homer "The Simpsons"

http://www.geocities.com/travlyn2

[This message has been edited by Dhunter (edited January 05, 2000).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing to remember about Wolf 359 isn't how many ships were lost, but the ease with which they were dispatched.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dhunter... close again, but...

The current commander of USS Constitution is CMDR William J. Forest; you can check out his web page at: http://www.ussconstitution.navy.mil/cobio.html
I never said the Constitution didn't have a commander; I said that it probably wasn't an admiral.

Oh, and according to the US Naval History Center, the Constitution is the "Flagship of the US Fleet." I looked at all the pictures on the website, and the only flags they show her flying are the US flag and the Navy standard. Check it out at: http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq68-2.htm

I think Aban Rune's quote from "Ens. Ro" implies that Ent-D was THE Starfleet flagship. All else is basically conjecture.

------------------
Dane

"...and there was war in heaven..." The Bible, Revelation 12:7

Marko Latin
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everybody keeps talking about what ship is the flagship of the federation but that isn't the topic...this has gotten totally out of hand and i'm closing the post because nobody reads the actual request set by me and everybody is wondering of the subject...the pages 4,5, and 6 don't have anything to do with the topic...sorry.

Now you can try posting in "Defiant battle reports" i could use some info...

------------------
Dream on...in the end...dreams are everything...

IP: Logged
The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I could use some info on the sovereign class' firepower and other stats that battles depend on... And now many ships it could take on and win...

There is no answer to your question because there IS no answer to the question available. No information about such things has been revealed in any canonical form. Personally, I get tired of people asking such questions, because it all biols down to the fact that the Sovereign Class can take on whatever the writers WANT it to take on... The only FIXED stats are the numbers of phasers and torp launchers, as they are physically evident on the model and CGI mesh.

quote:
As what is the sovereign class registered? Dreadnought? Warship? Heavy Cruiser?

"Explorer" is the only answer you're ever going to get out of anyone with any canonical importance.

------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."
Kosh: "Good."

SapphireEclipse Productions
http://sapphireeclipse.virtualave.net/

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

The Vorlon speaks the truth. You want to take a guess at how many threads wander off topic?

------------------

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps