Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sovereign class (Page 3)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Sovereign class
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the E-nil was supposed to be the flagship. In the early days, didn't they (read: GeneR) was the E to be "just another ship", not anything particularly special in and of itself (at least, as far as Starfleet was concerned)?

And, even if the E's were flagships, wouldn't they want to have good captains on them? I mean, Kirk and Picard, of course, are supposed to be two of the greatest captains in SF history. Even Chris Pike got an award named for him, and Rachel Garrett seemed to be pretty good, from what little we saw of her. But then, what do we do w/ Tuesday Harriman? If the E-B was the flagship, why in the world did they put him in charge? :-)

------------------
"'...This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased. Deny it!' cried the Spirit stretching out its hand towards the city. 'Slander those who tell it ye! Admit it for your factious purposes, and make it worse. And abide the end!'"
-Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was... a substitute 'til tuesday?

------------------
-You are crazy.
-I thought I was pisces.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno...I kinda liked Harriman. Plus, I think Alan Ruck is cool.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alan Ruck is the man and quite frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing him skipper the Ent B in an Enterprise B series or mini series. But that's another thread. As far as Harriman's incompitence, I think the movie may have overstated it slightly. Don't you think he learned from that experience? Plus, it's likely that he was simply in command of the ship during it's trial runs and final checks. He may have even gotten to deliver it somewhere when operational command would be handed over to another captain, who was possibly commanding another ship at the time.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Marko Latin
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm very happy to get so many replies to this topic

Just tell me where can i get pictures of the Sovereign class!

And how do you change the inscription under your username (New Member, Senior Member.....)???

------------------
Dream on...in the end...dreams are everything...

IP: Logged
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1: You're welcome
2: http://shipyard.scifi-art.com (these are not of the official Ent-E, but are damn near close to it)
3: You need to have over 250 posts until you can do that.

------------------
Life on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free annual trip around the sun!

(-=\V/=-)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, let's say someone has 250 posts. How might one go about doing it then...?

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's an option in your profile.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"My son and I have this wonderful kind of rivalry. Since I've taken over the Mac department in our home, he's seen fit to take over the PC. I have a routine I do for him, walking down the hall, bumping into walls, doing corkscrews and stumbling. I tell him I'm a Windows operating system." - John de Lancie

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the time I get to 250 post we'll have to all start over again.
lol

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

Lt. Tom
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All right, I hate Harriman as much as anyone. No, it's not because Kirk died on his watch. No, it's not because of what the did to the Excelsior to make his boat. However, as was pointed out to me once, he could have just been overwhelmed by the combination of a living legend, the Big Chair of the flagship, and the reporters. To his credit, his initial response was to protect his ship and crew.

I'd still like to think the real captain came Tuesday, though.

[This message has been edited by Lt. Tom (edited December 24, 1999).]

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that's just the problem. A really good captain wouldn't have been nervous, or at least wouldn't let it affect his performance so much.

Of course, you could also argue that he didn't let it affect his performance, and that his performance is that bad anyway. :-)

------------------
"'...This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased. Deny it!' cried the Spirit stretching out its hand towards the city. 'Slander those who tell it ye! Admit it for your factious purposes, and make it worse. And abide the end!'"
-Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here we are... E-E specs from the creators...

Category: Type II Explorer
Dimensions: Length - 685m
Draft - 88m
Beam - Saucer 250m
Nacelles 214m
Mass: 3,205,000 metric tons
Decks: 24

Crew: Officers - 130
Enlisted - 725
Evacuation capacity: 12,800 persons
Cargo capacity: 18,000 metric tons

Armament: Type XII phaser collimators - DECK 4 (upper)
DECK 5 (main)
DECK 11 (lower)
DECK 23 (lateral)
OUTPUT - 7.2 megawatts
Torpedo launchers - DECK 13 (forward)
DECK 19 (aft)
DECK 20 (forward)
TYPE - quantum, photon
VOLLEY - maximum spread of 12

Main Systems:
Propulsion: Warp
REACTOR - M/ARA Mk II
NORMAL CRUISE VELOCITY - Warp 6
MAXIMUM CRUISE VELOCITY - Warp 9.7
FUEL - supercritical cryogenic deuterium
supercritical cryogenic antihydrogen
REACTION MODERATING ELEMENT - fifth-phase crystalline dilithium
FUEL REPLENISHMENT - Bussard ramscoops (6)

Propulsion: Impulse
REACTORS - 24 fusion reactors
DRIVER COIL ASSEMBLIES - 8
FUEL - cryogenic deuterium slush

Propulsion: Auxiliary
ADDITIONAL SYSTEMS - reaction control thrusters
emergency manual overdrive

Computer
HARDWARE - bio-neural gel packs
SOFTWARE - LCARS version 2.5 interface
DATA TRANSFER RATE - 6200 kiloquads per second
NUMBER OF DEDICATED MODULES - 1800 per core
STORAGE CAPACITY - 725,000 kiloquads per module
(total 1,305x106 kiloquads per core)
COMPUTER CORES - 2 in primary hull
1 in engineering hull
TOTAL STORAGE - 3.915x106 kiloquads

Transporters
PERSONNEL - 6
EMERGENCY - 12
CARGO - 4

Communications
TRANSMISSION TYPES - voice and data
RANGE - personal communicator 800 km
ship-to-shore 42,000 km (normal)
100,000 km (extreme)
TRANSMISSION SPEED - data: 18.5 kiloquads per second
subspace: Warp 9.9997

Sensors
MAX EFFECTIVE RANGE - high resolution: 7 light-years
medium to low resolution: 21 light-years

Embarked Craft:
CAPTAIN'S GIG
SHUTTLECRAFT - numerous; various types
OTHER - several Workbees for damage control EVA operations

OK, it's a big list (sorry! I would post it on my hopepage but I don't have one ). Apparently it was written by John Eaves and Rick Sternbach, modified by me to add workbees (seen on the MSD).
Any more questions? Ask!

------------------
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maximum cruise velocity is only warp 9.7 ?? Somehow I doubt that. The Ent-D could go to warp 9.8 without any big problems. And the Ent-E has both more advanced systems and longer nacelles. as a matter of fact: The Sovereign class has longest nacelles of all Federation ships.

------------------
"Reality is a condition that occurs because of a lack of alcohol."
- Albert Einstein

(-=\V/=-)

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited December 25, 1999).]

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Sovereign class is as most Starfleet ships a jack of all trades , from Diplomatic or Political Missions to a heavy battlecruiser of sorts

As for what she was doing during the Dominion war , I think she was kind of a moral boaster , maybe she cruised around federation worlds to bring sprits up and the like , the federation wouldent send the its largest vessel to fight against dozens of small ships , we all saw what happeneds to Galaxy Class Ships , they are swarmed by Jem Hadar and then when the sheilds fal the Jam Hadar Ram the ship . like fighting a Gurrela War with B-52s , it would work to some extent but the Gurrelas would soon develop tactics around them , for example during Vietnam when the VC was being bombed by the US they soon started clinging to US Platoons , that way if the US used B-52's they would risk harming US troops . So in a fight between a Sovereign and 5 Jem hadar Attack Ships , I think the Jam Hadar would come out the victor with the Sovereign taking heavy losses .

In my opinion there is only one Sovereign in active service that being the Enterprise which was originaly the USS Sovereign during its designing and construction but later renamed enterprise after the
E-D was lost , Why do i believe there is only one you ask ? well I imagine a Ship like the Sovereign would take more then 4 years to contruct 1 year in testing until it is Officialy Comissioned that makes for a total of 6 years from conception to service . The Enterprise-D was destroyed in 2371 and the Enterprise-E was Comissioned in 2373 so i think my thoery is sound. So if there is another Sovereign shy is most likley either still under construction or in the testing Stage.Also Id like to say somthing about Starship naming , Starfleet does indeed rename vessels , case in point the USS San Paulo which was renamed USS Defiant at the request of Admiral Ross , What makes you think they wont do this for an other ship ? espeacialy for the Enterprise .

This post was meant to be a small note and look what it has turned into :-) Well I must bid you farewell and Marry Christmas to all and a very happy New Year.

Visit my web site , Jupiter Station , Starfleet Research and Development at :

Jupiter Station , Starfleet Research and Development

[This message has been edited by Dhunter (edited December 25, 1999).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see much reason to assume that the Enterprise is the only Sovereign around. Sure, Geordi said she was the most advanced ship in the fleet, but he said that about the D too, and she certainly wasn't the only Galaxy.

------------------
"And she stands beneath the mistletoe screaming. For him to stand beneath the mistletoe, screaming."
--
They Might Be Giants

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps