Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sovereign class (Page 4)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Sovereign class
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's true! The Ent-D has been refered to as the best ship in the fleet (or something like that) several times, even by the Borg.

I agree that we cannot asume that the Enterprise-E is the only Sovereign around just because it is refered to as 'the most advanced'.

I think you can best compare this with Formula 1 racing: All the drivers of a team get about the same car, but the most promising driver gets the latest and best parts, while the other(s) have to do with lesser parts.
In Star Trek: There are more Sovereign class ships around, but the Enterprise gets the best equipment (first). Which makes it the most advanced ship...

See what I mean?

------------------
"Reality is a condition that occurs because of a lack of alcohol."
- Albert Einstein

(-=\V/=-)

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they refeer to the Enterprise as the best because it was the first Sovereign and it has an experianced Crew and a Good Captain . Any way i still maintain that there is still only one Sovereign , of course there are most likley more under construction but only one in active service that being the Enterprise.

Check Out My Website at :
Jupiter Station , Starfleet Research and Development

[This message has been edited by Dhunter (edited December 26, 1999).]

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One fact you all are overlooking: As of seaseon 6 of Voyager, the Enterprise-E is in service for 4 years. And they still haven't got another Sovereign class out there...? I find that VERY hard to believe!

------------------
"Reality is a condition that occurs because of a lack of alcohol."
- Albert Einstein

(-=\V/=-)

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ent-E isn't necessarily the only Sovereign but it does seem odd that the Ent-E was launched only a little over a year after the Ent-D was destroyed. Could they really have built such an advanced vessel during that time? Or was the Ent-E originally destined to be called something else?

Something else - I just noticed today that the Sovereign-class hasn't even got a single phaser array on the aft half of the ship. In fact there's only one array on the entire secondary hull. Seems like a design flaw to me - something that enemy vessels could take advantage of.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Lt. Tom
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Per Dhunter's theory, it takes six years to make a service-ready Sovvy, and SF wouldn't have started production on any more until the first one was built.

I have a number of problems with this theory, though. First and foremost, it would be highly irregular for SF to rename the class prototype. I'll grant that SF has been known to rename (and in the case of the Ent-A, re-rego) ships. However, I think it's much more likely that the Sovereign-class had already gone into full production and that SF decided the next hull that was finished would receive the name Enterprise.

The biggest remaining problem I have is why each Sovvy would have to spend over a year in testing. Obviously, the USS Sovereign would have undergone some rigorous testing, especially if it was an experimental (NX) design. I would think that any built after that point would only undergo a shakedown cruise, though--a quick jaunt around the system, pick up the quantorps and the last of the crew on Tuesday, and then it's off to wherever SFNC wants to send it.

IP: Logged
The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: No further ships built until AFTER Prototype completed...

We know this to be false, at least so says the TNGTM. While the USS Galaxy was under construction, at LEAST the Yamato and E-D were also being built. Says so in the Construction Chronology section. The 2 batches of 6...

Why people always have to come up with convuluted explainations to things is beyond me... Of course the E-E was a Sovereign Class under construction that was renamed upon completion. To suggest that they'd rename the Class ship is ludicrous, that would make Sovereign Class the Enterprise Class, and we know that's not the case.

And seeing how the Galaxy Class was built in a first batch of 6, the Intrepid rumoured to be a first batch of 4, and all the ships in a batch are completed within a couple years of each other, I'd say it's very realistic to say there's 4-6 Sovereigns in service. And THEN, considering the war and the rush to finish ships, you could even say that there'd be maybe even 10 or so Sovereigns out there...

Barring the loss of any ships in the war, etc, of course.

------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."

SapphireEclipse Productions
http://sapphireeclipse.virtualave.net/

[This message has been edited by The Vorlon (edited December 26, 1999).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Of course the E-E was a Sovereign Class under construction that was renamed upon completion."

Unless it didn't have a previous name in the first place.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"My son and I have this wonderful kind of rivalry. Since I've taken over the Mac department in our home, he's seen fit to take over the PC. I have a routine I do for him, walking down the hall, bumping into walls, doing corkscrews and stumbling. I tell him I'm a Windows operating system." - John de Lancie

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same difference.

------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."

SapphireEclipse Productions
http://sapphireeclipse.virtualave.net/

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not all ships spend a year in testing but such large ships like Sovs and Galaxies take time to get used to , also most Captains and Engineers like to configure their ships differantly so I imagine that would take some time and then a couple of months of contenues warp travel to test out the drive then a month of testing the sensors and the like its basicly the same as what the US Navy puts its ships through
Recently i watched a documentery on the construction of the USS Harry Truman , the US's newest Aircraft Carrier , they said that when the Carrier was seaworthy , not complete but sea worthy they would send it on sea trials for 2 months to test out all its systems and finish some of the intallations at sea , maybe that is what SF does , they send out the ship with all it needs to Fly to test out its core systems that way if theres a problem they can catch it before they pour more time and resources into the other systems then if that went off right they install the rest of the stuff and then test that , then as the last step they send her out for a final test and to give a chance for the crew to get used to the ship. this might take 7-8 months , the other 4 months would probley have the ship showing itself off on Earth and Stuff then it would receive its first orders.

Case in point , the USS Enterprise-B left spacedock incomplete , maybe it was going to start its teasting mission after it droped off Kirk and the rest at the end of its christening.

Also id like to say that The Vorlon does have a point , their could be more Sovereigns by now but not 10 maybe 3 - 4 at the most if anything the Dominion War might have slowed production of the Sovereign , Sovs are very valnarble to a large fleet of small fighter types , for example if you walk through a bunch a Gnats (Those little bugs that get stuck on your windsheild) they annoy the hell out of you some get in your mouth, others your nose , now imagine those Gnats as Ships with Phasers and your the Sov , sure you could smack some off but the remaining ones would have already caused the damage , The way i think of it Starfleet would have slowed production of the Sov and opted to use those resources to build more defiants and other small ships like that to fight the Jem Hadar Attack ships.

=======================================================
"I am First Omet'iklan, and I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar. Remember, victory is life."

-- Omet'iklan Ds9:"To the Death"
http://www.geocities.com/travlyn2/index.htm

[This message has been edited by Dhunter (edited December 26, 1999).]

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is always assumed that a larger ship will always fall victim to the smaller ones? The only reason the Odyssey got whacked was because Starfleet hadn't found a way to modify their shield against phased polaron weapons. The fact that ships are only as good as their targeting package seems to be lost on many people. In the episode where the Defiant got boarded didn't a Jem'Hadar fix some targeting deficiency in the weapon systems? I bet those targeting updates were passed to every ship in the fleet, and that explains the Galaxy's success in hitting Jem'Hadar attack ships in the DS9 final.

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

[This message has been edited by bear (edited December 26, 1999).]

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

I didnt mean that the ship would be destroyed , i meant that the small vessels could inflict enough damage to render a large ship like that inoperative for a while , But the sovereign class does have some design flaws that would make destruction possible . For example the rear of the Sovereign is very lightly defended in a scenerio where the sheilds are gone , if a ship was to come up close from behind Sovreign , it would only be facing a lone photon torpedo laucnher and certain angles the phaser arrays which if fired and the Attacker is destroyed , the shockwave and explosion would damage the sovs hull and produce several fractures , depending on how the explosion occured and if the sov does not fire it will be destroyed , if it moves and the attacker is able to stay on it the sov ship will still be in harms way , and even if it can wiggle out it would still be in harms way so my thoery of the smaller ships being able to take larger ones is only intended towards the Sov Class not the Galaxy Class .

http://www.geocities.com/travlyn2/sovereign_class_top.jpg

In the end more of the small ships would have been destroyed but their goal would have been achieved , they put one of the Feds largest vessels in Spacedock for months for extensive repairs or in worst case scenerio the ship would have been a total loss .

1 ship alone cant do this but if a squadron of 6 or 7 Jem Hadar Attack ships could do it with maybe 3 or 4 going down .

and in another Scenerio , if a Romulan Warbird were to decloak from behind the ship , it would have a great advantage in the battle to come , the Enterprise would take the first hits which would bring the sheilds down alot if the Romulan ship gets in some good hits and can keep the Sov from coming about to bear its Quantum Torpedo Launcher , the Romulan would have the upper hand .

Of Course this is all supposing the ships get to the right place at the right time and the Smaller ships can get the sheilds low enough.

"I am First Omet'iklan, and I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar. Remember, victory is life."

-- Omet'iklan Ds9:"To the Death" http://www.geocities.com/travlyn2/index.htm

[fixed link]

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited December 27, 1999).]

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's all this business about Sovs needing a year of testing? According to the real plaque the Ent-E was launched 49827.5 and First Contact was 50893.5. Now, Geordi said that they had been "out in space nearly a year". To me this suggests that they spent about a month testing the ship.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

By year i dont mean a Complete year maybe 6 - 7 months.

-- Omet'iklan Ds9:"To the Death" http://www.geocities.com/travlyn2/index.htm

[This message has been edited by Dhunter (edited December 27, 1999).]

Enterprise
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Enterprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being the resident commanding officer of a Sovereign-class, I'd like to offer my 2 cents.

I would speculate that there are at LEAST 3, perhaps 4 Sovereign-class ships out there. Here's what we know (and can speculate on the names of the other ships):

USS Sovereign NX-74222 (likely NCC by now)
USS Enterprise NCC-1701-E
USS Avalon (ok, I made this one up for a story)
USS Doesn't get a name or reg number until Tuesday

COMMON SENSE: No way was the Big Sov renamed Enterprise. It IS the Sovereign-class after all, not the Enterprise-class.

If you want to know about those stories of mine, which feature at least one Sovereign-class a story, let me know.

------------------
Brandon "Enterprise" Grasmick
Commanding Officer, USS Sovereign (NX-74222)

"Captain, the Sona crew are willing to negotiate a cease fire. It may have something to do with the fact that we have 3 minutes of air left."
-- Worf

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
-- In time of war the law falls silent.

Enterprise
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Enterprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dhunter, before I forget to comment on your signature:

"My name is Miles O'Brien and I am very much alive."

------------------
Brandon "Enterprise" Grasmick
Commanding Officer, USS Sovereign (NX-74222)

"Captain, the Sona crew are willing to negotiate a cease fire. It may have something to do with the fact that we have 3 minutes of air left."
-- Worf

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
-- In time of war the law falls silent.

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps