Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sovereign class (Page 7)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Sovereign class
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because he was Picard, captain of the Enterprise? Such people usually carry a bit more clout then most.

Besides, what were the other captains going to say?

"Picard!? Oh, that glory hog! Well, we won't be following his orders, not today!"

"Uh, sir, what do we do about the Borg? The Enterprise is broadcasting attack coordinates. Unless you have a better idea..."

"Well, use them...but don't let them know we're using them."

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True, other fleet captains probably have quite a bit of respect for Picard, and Picard has never been one to soft step matters of authority. But he wasn't taking command of a bunch of Lieutenants. He TOOK OFFICIAL COMMAND of the entire fleet defending Earth and gave them an ORDER which put the whole effort on the line. I don't think he would've done it in that way unless he had the authority to do so.

Again, this is all conjecture. The Ent E has never been specifically IDed as the Federation Flagship. But, once again IMHO, I believe the Fleet has instituted a tradition of keeping the Enterprise as the Fleet's flagship. If the Ent E lasts for 100 years, and by that time the Humungo-phaser-torp Class has been produced and is kicking Cardassian butt to the far flung reaches, The Ent E will still be the Flagship. Of course Enterprises also have the unfortunate tradition of being destoyed or decomissioned very early in their lifetimes (at least the A and the D)

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the history of starships named Enterprise has always been somewhat violent. True the Enterprise-B seemed to have lived a long life, but then again the ship could have been blow to bits like the Enterprise C, D, and the original ship.

The following is a list on how each Enterprise ended its Starfleet service career

The original was destroyed because Kirk set auto-destruct to prevent the Klingons to take control of her

The -A was decommissioned early for some reason (many say because the ship was the Yorktown)

The -B lived the longest of all ships named Enterprise but no one knows if the ship was decommissioned after a long service life or became space debris like many other ships named Enterprise

The -C was destroyed at Narendra III by Romulan Warbirds (is this how Starfleet knew about the existance of the new Warbirds?)

The -D was destroyed at the Veridian System by Lursa and B'tor's trigger-happy ship and crew (I would think that Worf would have rotated the shields)

The -E is still in service, yet it seems that it's taken a heavy beating in its early service career (can anyone say ka-boom?)

------------------
Sometimes I run
Sometimes I hide
Sometimes I'm scared of you
But all I really want is to hold you tight
Treat you right, be with you day and night
Baby all I need is time

-Britney Spears

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I'm not sure a launch date was ever given for the C. And therefore, we don't really know how long the B lasted. The TNG Tech Man says that the B was responsible for a great deal of exploration in the Alpha or Beta Quadrant. It doesn't say much at all about the C.

Captain Garrett does mention warbirds but they may not have been the D'deridex Class warbirds that appear in the Next Gen. era.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

[This message has been edited by Aban Rune (edited December 31, 1999).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the matter of an official changing of command was much of an issue. The fleet was being beaten. Picard said he had a plan. What else would you suggest they do? I would imagine that, had it been some other captain on some other ship with a brand new idea, they would have listened to him too.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aban: You say Picard would not "soft-step on matters of authority". Have you forgotten that he was ordered not to be there in the first place?

------------------
"...more people buy Harry Potter novels than the works of Alexander Pope, but that's no measure of their quality."
-Tom Aylward-Nally, December 29, 1999

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited January 01, 2000).]

Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the issue of Picard's assumption of command in the Battle of Sector 001, I've got to go with Sol on this one. The fleet was in complete disarray, the defense of Earth was falling apart... and the individual commanders probably recognized it. Picard arrived on the scene with a ship and a plan, and the other captains fell in line and followed.

Of course, if Enterprise WAS the Federation flagship, it would lend a lot more credence to Picard's assumption of command.

------------------
Dane

"...and there was war in heaven..." The Bible, Revelation 12:7

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of short, violent lives, has anyone else noticed that Klingons have almost always played a hand in the death of an Enterprise?

1701 - Destroyed to prevent it from falling into Klingon hands after having been disabled during a fight with a Klingon BOP. Also simulated having been destroyed by Klingons in the previous movie...

1701-A - On her final mission before decommissioning, she got the snot beat out of her while attempting to destroy a BOP that could fire while cloaked. Likely WOULD have been destroyed by Klingons had the Excelsior not joined the fight on her side...

1701-B - Unknown. Fan conjecture states this ship could have been lost during the Tomed Incident, which involved Romulans and not Klingons... But until this is mentioned onscreen, we have no proof that the Klingons were NOT involved...

1701-C - Lost while defending a Klingon outpost against Romulan attack. Pesky Klingons again, causing the Enterprise to get involved and be destroyed...

1701-D - Fatally wounded during a fight with obsolete Klingon BOP. Should never have happened, but those damn Klingons cheated... And the Klingon manning the weapon systems on the Enterprise only fired one freakin' whimpy shot...

1701-E - STAY AWAY FROM KLINGONS!!!

------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."
Kosh: "Good."

SapphireEclipse Productions
http://sapphireeclipse.virtualave.net/

warbird5
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the enterprise is the flagship of the federation. it is the most powerful and most technologically advanced ship in the fleet. defiant might be able to destroy the Enterprise only b/c it is more manuevorable. if the Enterprise went against the Prometheus, it would blow the Prometheus to bits. I would say there's about 25 or so Sovereigns out there now. By now the year is 2375 or 2376 and you guys underestimate the economic cabalities and the resources of the Federation. There's about 30,000 ships in Starfleet, plus many more personnal ships, transports, and shuttles and runabouts. The Federation's wartime economy is dangerous thing. The United States' wartime economy in WW2 outproduced the rest of the world combined.
IP: Logged
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uh, ok, welcome to the forums newbie. You might want to read what we already said FIRST though.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
25 Sovs !?

The idea is laughable , 4 or 5 MAYBE but 25!? egads man .

The Federation does have a good war time economy but there is no way they could build 25 Sovs in 4 years and still have time to build the other ships they really need for this war.

And why would Starfleet waste its time on 25 Sovs ? 25 sovs would take a total of 12500 Crew Members concidering each Sov needs about 500 crew members to function . I dought that In a time where Starfleet is struggling to man its vessels it would waste almost 13000 on 25 Sovs when it could stick those 13000 officers on Akiras , Defiants , Sabres , Norways and Steamrunners the ships that Starfleet needs to win the war.

Maybe now that the war is over Starfleet will concider building more Sovs but not as many as 25 .

As for Picard taking command of the fleet at Sector 001 , you must remember that not all Starfleet ship Commanders are at the rank of Captains , some are at the rank of Commander others at Lt Commander , Captains are in command of larger ships like galaxys , Excelsiors and the like but for ships like the Sabres , Steamrunners and Akiras which are new classes , those commands are given to new officers , Commanders and such. So concidering that the Battle at Sector 001 was made up of those new classes he might have been taking command of the fleet because he outranked some of the CO's there , but the most likely reason he took over the fleet was because his vessel held a tactical advantage over the other ships and according to Janeway and Capt Ransom of the Equinox in a situation where all CO's are of the same rank the Captain of the vessel with tactical advantage takes command over the rest.

------------------
"I am First Omet'iklan, and I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar. Remember, victory is life."

-- Omet'iklan Ds9:"To the Death"
http://www.geocities.com/travlyn2/index.htm

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would Starfleet place those people on older ships??
The Sovereign class is almost sertainly one of the most powerful classes of ships in the Federation. If I was their militairy advisor, I'd say:
"Quit building those ancient Excelsiors and Mirandas, and get me as many Sovereigns as you can make!"

It proved to be a very capable design in the battle at Sector 001, so I think that those Starfleet admirals would be complete idiots if they don't order to build more of them...

------------------
"Reality is a condition that occurs because of a lack of alcohol."
- Albert Einstein

(-=\V/=-)

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, of course they'll build more of them, that's the USAF not building any F-22's, and concentrating on building ancient planes, like the F-15A, and such.

But Starfleet could very well be making Mirandas, and Excelsiors, because they supplement the fleet very well, and probably don't take as long as a Sovereign.

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They arnt building any new Excelsiors or Mirandas they just keep refiting the old ones . They are building more defiants , Akiras and stuff and they keep the Excelsiors and Mirandas to serve as science ships because most of the new ships are warships and not designed for science.

BTW has any body been over at TNO ? the Forum is reading posts made todays as

January 10 21000

*LOL* This also happened at the Istanbul Stock Exchange :-)

------------------
"I am First Omet'iklan, and I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar. Remember, victory is life."

-- Omet'iklan Ds9:"To the Death"
http://www.geocities.com/travlyn2/index.htm

[This message has been edited by Dhunter (edited January 01, 2000).]

warbird5
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think you guys underestimate the size of the Federation. The Doiminion shipyards were producing Jem Hadar fighters within weeks. I think the notion of having 25 Sovereigns is reasonable I believe. The Defiant is a easy ship to mass produce so they should have arund 50 or so, but the actual number should be less than 10. The Federation should use the Defiant as their main ship for defense. A fleet of 1000 Defiants could be manned by just 50,000 Starfleet personnel. 5000 to 10,000 upgraded Defiants by 2390 or so could form Starfleet's defence grid and still use the larger ships as explorers. I think it said some where in the DS9 technical manual, that Cardassia could produce around a 1000 ships a year. Correct me if i'm wrong.
IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps