Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sovereign class (Page 2)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Sovereign class
grb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, why isn't the Soveirn just a more heavily armed version of an explorer? With all the conflist that's been going on in the quadrant in that past decade, starfleet proabably developed a more powerful explorere that could defend itself during these conflicts. For example, a galaxy would be over powered by a romulan warbird. The soverign, if it encountered a warbird on a deep space mission, could defend itself, and even defeat the warbird. The Sovering isn't just some dimplomatic cruiser or even command ship, but is a multi-mission explorere, like the galxy, with perhaps slightly downsized scientific facilities and oversixed weapons systems.

------------------
"Obviously you refuse to cooperate with me. Obviously you have no discipline to kepp the mouth shut. Obviously you don't. Let's try it that way, then you might get the hint. How many more minutes are we going to waste asking you not to talk? How many more!?!"-a recording of my disciplined (the dean is outright scary) Catholic school Geometry teacher, available on the internet.

IP: Logged
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait a second....The Enterprise-E is NOT the Federation's flagship. Nowhere has it said this, and just because the Ent-D was, doens't mean the new one is too.

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited December 20, 1999).]

Saboc
Ex-Member

I agree with Ultra Magnus. And besides, it would be nice to have other starships to be the flagship for a while. I'm sick of the Enterprise being the flagship for so long...

------------------
"The Founder is wise in all things..."
"We live to serve the Founders..."

Lt. Tom
Ex-Member

My 0.02 credits...

The Sovereign is meant to be an Excelsior-style jack of all trades that departs from the Excelsior-Ambassador-Galaxy lineage by focusing more on "keeping the peace" than scientific study. This is consistent with Starfleet's trend toward smaller, more potent vessels.

IMHO, the Sovereign's primary role can be summed up as "speak softly and carry a big stick". She's not designed for combat, but she's more than capable of holding her own. You'd think twice before pulling any stunts with one around. Once again, Timo's summed things up pretty well.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean no dis, Saboc, but how can you be "sick" of that? Does it matter that much to you? I'm sorry, it just sounds SO funny!
Think, someone sitting on the bus, hissing "Damn that Enterprise for being the flagship!"
Again, no offence, anything I read at this point sounds funny, 'cause I'm going to work in three hours and I haven't slept. At all. *Centuwion, thwow me to the fwoow!*

------------------
-You are crazy.
-I thought I was pisces.

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They may have never confirmed that the Ent-E is the flaghip but until I hear otherwise that's what I'm gonna assume.

Also, I agree that the Sovereign-class seems like more of a successor to the Excelsior-class than anything else.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, lets see here. The original Ent was the flagship. The Ent A was the flagship. All other ships named Enterprise have kept the registry NCC-1701 with a rising suffix. This is a tradition that has yet to be seen in any other cannon ships (with the exception of the Relativity which I'm not sure I believe yet). This tradition has to mean something. It's always seemed fairly obvious to me that this tradition is the way it is because the Enterprise has a tradition of being the Flagship!! After all, Starfleet totally redesigned its "corporate identity" around the Enterprise's logo and has kept that basic look for over almost a century.

I think the Enterprise is the flagship and will be for the forseeable future. Starfleet is full of tradition and I don't really think it's anything to get sick over.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tradition or not, there is still a gap of about 20 years in between the Ent-C and Ent-D.
I myself think that because the Ent-C was suddenly destroyed, they didn't have a suitable follow-up at that time...

As for the Enterprise being the Flagship, are you all sure that there was no mentioning of it in any way in either First Contact or Insurrection??

BTW: A smaller ship does not automatically mean it can do less than a bigger ship. The Ent-D may have a larger internal volume, but the Ent-E has:
1: No families.
2: More advanced, and almost sertainly smaller equipment.
Just something to think about when you compare them...

------------------
Life on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free annual trip around the sun!

(-=\V/=-)

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited December 21, 1999).]

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They said in FC that she was the most advanced ship in the fleet, but didn't specifically call her the flagship. The flagship is not a combat title or indication of how powerful the ship is. Flagship is more of diplomatic/ political title. The flagship is the representative of an organization. This being the case, It's usually the best that organization ahs to offer.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Aban Rune (edited December 21, 1999).]

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lets see:

FC: Ent-E is most advanced ship
Ins: Ent-E is used to welcome a new species in the Federation....

I'd say that's enough to call the Ent-E the Federation Flagship...

------------------
Life on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free annual trip around the sun!

(-=\V/=-)

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) The Enterprise-E isn't the most advanced anymore, especially with the new Prometheus and stuff

2) The Enterprise was used for diplomatic meetings with the midgets because she wasn't involved in the war.

3) Where was it ever said that the original and -A Enterprises were flagships?

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I'm almost positive that they said Kirk's ship was the flagship in TOS. I know that that's always been my assumption. I think the admiral wanted the Enterprise at some conference in "Amok Time" when Kirk had to get Spock back to Vulcan because she was the flagship. Other ships were going to be there but it was important that the Enterprise specifically was there. I don't remember if the term 'flagship' was actually used, but that was the implication.

Also, who says the Ent E isn't involved in the war at all?

The Prometheus is likely still in development stages and they're not going to take away a ship's status or name simply because a slightly more advanced starship comes along. The Prometheus Class may be faster and more powerfull, but the Sovereign Class Enterprise still represents Starfleet's best and brightest.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Aban Rune (edited December 21, 1999).]

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the idea of a Galaxy class ship being the flagship of the Federation. I mean think about it, the Galaxy's are still in production, they are the largest, and with appropriate upgrades and refits are as impressive as a Sovereign. Besides we aren't necessarily talking about military strength, for example, the HMS Hood was the flagship of the British navy between WWI and WWII despite being out classed by many of its peers.

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aban: The Enterprise wasn't involved in the war during Insurrection, and hadn't seemed to be at any time. It's just an impression, though.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Ou tou kratountos h� polis nomizetai" - Creon

Basill
Ex-Member

Very good point about the hood bear. That is precisely why she rests in two pieces on the floor of the Atlantic. She was the pride of the fleet, and although she was well polished, she was no match for some of the newer ships in the Royal Navy much less the Bismark. I think this is how we should see Starfleet ships. Each class (as well as individual vessels) has its own strengths and weaknesses, but merit does not always determine the element of prestige.
For that you need a touch of pride and arrogance

thats just my take anyway.

------------------
Just a thought...A grain of salt-season to taste-lather, rinse, repeat

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps