Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Mark's Ultimate Trek Project (Page 8)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  14  15  16   
Author Topic: Mark's Ultimate Trek Project
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good God, that's an ugly ship- it makes the Deadalus look advanced by comparison.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
99% done now... Karl took some nice liberties to even the ship out. Just working on the decals and we'll sign off on it. One down, 39 to go...

-
 -
 -

MORE HERE

Makes it look ALMOST like a decent design...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why the red deflector?
Blue would make the ship look much more plausable -as would swapping the nacelles to Phase II version.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your guy, Karl, clearly knows his stuff and he's done a nice job bringing this design to life. But there's something I don't understand. Was this McQuarrie concept thingamabob ever seen at Wolf 359? I know on Bernd's site it says a damaged version was seen in the episode "Unification" and speculates the footage in which you see it was originally shot for BOBW and (because it wasn't used) recycled. Am I getting that right? Just seems like a really roundabout way to include a relatively unknown ship that looks even more out of place than the Connie hull. Or the unthinkable has happened and I missed something.
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Why the red deflector?
Blue would make the ship look much more plausable -as would swapping the nacelles to Phase II version.

Also, it seems odd having a TMP/TNG era font for the registry and name, but that very TOSish red strip along the nacelles.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yeah- I thought the modeler had slapped on the TOS Enterprise's pennant on backward and upside-down at first glance.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karl listens - and sees logic! He's been monitoring this thread (for some reason his Flare registration has yet to go through) and really appreciates the constructive comments.

http://members.shaw.ca/nekosei/others/USS%20Gage/Gage16.jpg

I think that about does it for the Gage... We've got lots more to do. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

A couple of minor suggestions- I'd make the wacky yellow window thingies at the front of the bridge bump into a forward-facing Officers Lounge (with simmular windows, natch).
The ship needs phaser mounts- desperately! Prahaps a saucer mounted torpedo laincher on the ventral side with an NX-01esque launchbay on the secondary hull's ventral side...it's a pretty large starship not to have a shuttlebay. [Wink]

Karl, if you're out there, ya did a really great job with an incredibly crappy design that was tossed together as just a "proof of concept" model, not ever intended to be a final design.

I hope you're going to do the four-nacelled Excelsior model next!

assuming you're not really some crazy split persona Mark has developed from Flare exposure, Welcome Aboard.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

There is a considerable shuttlebay that occupies most of the aft section above the impulse engines. Presumably the doors garage-roll downwards to allow shuttle launches. The interior of the bay is seen in "The Art of Star Trek".

Admittedly the ventral secondary hull isn't terribly detailed, mostly on account of the model never being seen at that angle. Karl made those small tubes the torpedo launchers - four forward, four aft. The small blisters on the forward dorsal saucer were basically concluded as phaser emitters, and so we added four more on the ventral saucer - there may be more on the ventral secondary to cover the ventral aft arc, but we may not get around to adding them.

Karl thought about the lounge idea, but that's a case of idea versus intent - it's the bridge, so it'll be an odd one.

Mark

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Ah. I did not get that the shuttlebay was directly above the impulse engines.
Seems a tad risky.

Nacelles aside, those "bridge windows" bug me- it makes the ship seem like it has a WWII bomber cockpit in place of a bridge and throws off any sense of scale.
What's the "band-aid" thing on the side of the neck?

Is Karl going to make the "Arial" shuttlecarrier version of this overall design?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a beautiful interpretation of an ugly ship. It looks so much more realistic with the Starfleetish details.

I only have a beef with the Bussard collectors. I always liked the idea that the round collector caps were blown off during the battle. Maybe this could be even shown in the movie?

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
Yup, that's a Macquarrie design. Jonah (Peregrinus) favours it for the Apollo.

No he doesn't. Not since we saw it in Spacedock in Star Trek III. I'm still working on making it look good, but I am looking elsewhere for Apollo-y goodness nowadays. [Wink]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

TOLD ya it'd take a while. Here's Karl's next ship:

Guppy!

Under Guppy!

Mark

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say, Mark, I went to look at the Gage again and got a real nice Shaw Corporate 404 error page.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too, anyway this project is coming along nicely and I'm happy your going to keep the Connie in the fight. Have you considered the DS9 kitbashes like the centaur and yeager. They should blow up real nicely.
  This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  14  15  16   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps