Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles ($$) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles ($$)
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw all three episodes today. Good stuff. I still have to wonder about The Turk. Even though nerd guy's house was burnt down, there's always the chance he could build another one.

Edit: I also love the Bear McCreary soundtrack. I must have a copy of the closing credits music.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aren't we told that the terminator that runs away has no idea that the Connors are there and isn't programmed to find and kill them?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly, it was only there to kill the cell of future-soldiers who had gone back, and was lying there among their bodies to wait for the last future-soldier to come back to the apartment and kill him too.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched episode 4 and some new titbits have floated to the surface.

- Cromartie is a T-888, which apparently can be distinguished from the other 800 series by the exact proportions of the endoskeleton. Which makes sense since the first model was built like a tank, later ones would have to pass as resistance fighters, who logically would be generally smaller than Arnie, if not near starvation. Just a side thought, but I wonder if Skynet produced child model Terminators? Potentially harder to spot and more adept at scurrying through the ruins and tunnels. Dogs still a problem though.

- That plastic surgeon must be a GENIUS to turn swollen lumpy tissue into a dead ringer for a real person (hair and all.) Still, suspension of disbelief and all that.

- It seams Skynet leaves little to chance and is actively preparing to improve it's chances in the future beyond knocking off future leaders. Leaving stockpiles hidden all over the place makes alot of sense - I wonder if it's sent back a copy of itself to guarantee judgement day...though that may be a paradox too far.

- The Terminators are also infiltrating the military at least at some level. I doubt they'd venture too far into the lime light as their interpersonal skills don't stand up to close scrutiny. That is assuming of course that their CPUs are set to read only - Skynet can't afford them going native.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I have to admit, the new Terminators seem to have a little more personality than Arnie, liquid cop, and the terminatrix. Though as you point out, its not that much of an improvement.
Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nor should it be, imo. I actually think Cameron is getting a bit too soft-voicy and considerate.

I also had a bit of an epiphany as I was watching this episode; there really is no difference AT ALL between Cromarty and Cameron in this series, as far as behavior goes. They both kill those they need to (except when Cameron gets updated orders directly from her boss, something Cromarty can't) and otherwise they just do what they can to get their mission done.

If you where to take away the ominous, pulsating synth music whenever Cromney is in frame, they would just be brother and sister. There's no inherent good or bad in them at all, just duties to be followed.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well that's what a terminator is all about. It's a machine. Granted a machine equipped with a micro super computer capable of learning and self awareness, but as was stated in T2, Skynet sets them to "read only" when sent out alone, so they can't go beyond their basic programming or think for themselves.

Presumably over time Cameron's chip is set on "read & write" and she will "learn" and become less a machine and more of a person as ther series goes on. Chromey doesn't have that choice, he's just following his basic programming a primary mission objectives.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, exactly what sort of sadistic psychopath is Sarah Connor supposed to be now? She left that dude to blow himself up in the middle of nowhere. The guy was just a hired security guard. He'd probably gotten the job from an ad on Craig's List, or something. But she decided that, after threatening him with a knife, roughing him up, and forcing him to drive her where she was going, she should abandon him in a minefield. What the crap?
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Yeah especially considering that it doesn't seem likely that anyone will cross that road anytime soon. So if he doesn't get blown up, he'll either die of fatigue, heat stroke, or starvation.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

He has a chance, which to her is better than outright murder. If he's clever he can retrace Cameron's footsteps (dust and scrub is good for leaving tracks) and if he walks by night and finds shade for the day he can walk it to civilisation. Point being, they're long gone by the time he does.

You should also bare in mind that this woman did spend time in a mental institution, threatened to inject liquid rooter into her doctor (not to mention breaking his arm and stabbing him in the kneecap) and very nearly murdered a man in front of his wife and child. This is an improvement.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually think they've gotten away from the fact that Sarah is a really messed up puppy and I agree with Reverend that this is far from as bad as what she's capable of. If he goes really slow on hands and knees and picks through every inch of scrub, he can probably figure out where the mines are buried. It'll take him a couple of days to cross that distance, but he'll survive.

I've gotta ask: what the heck kind of name is Cromarty? Besides being an obvious reference to the fact that the Terminators are covered in chrome, am I missing an obvious connection to something?

The mineral hoarding terminator was pretty cool. Not as scary as Arnold, but pretty good. I don't get the "going into standby" thing though. I thought it was super cool that he just cleaned up the loose ends, then turned and faced the door and started waiting. But why wouldn't motion or noise of any kind click him back on? It's not like he needs to conserve power. His battery lasts for what? 120 years? And it's not like he'll get bored. Just stay awake the whole time.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Nim
Member # 205

That would result in what the djinns of ancient Persia famously called "writing yourself into a corner".

Reverend:
quote:
threatened to inject liquid rooter into her doctor
I always felt like he would've gotten some of it in his flesh and on the skin because of what was left on the needle and inside it. *shivers*
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe he did. All in all, it seems to have been a pretty rough night for him.

"(snickering) He was from the future too..."

You have to admit though, that Sarah wailing on that guy was pretty in-character. Very reminiscent of the Sylberman incident.

p.s. Rev: where did we hear that he's an 888? All I heard was Cameron say that the mineral hoarder wasn't the same design as Cromartie.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Nim
Member # 205

He wasn't the same dimensions, I think she said the distances between joints differed.

The Wikipedia list of terminators have Cromarty as an 888 as well, apparently. And the most canon solution seems to be that "800" is the series of endoskeleton, while the "101" have the face of Arnold, so the Terminators with other model numbers differ only in how they have smoothed out their meat.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cromartie is the name of a sports player that one of the writers likes. I think it was this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Cromartie

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps