Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles ($$) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles ($$)
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I actually think they've gotten away from the fact that Sarah is a really messed up puppy and I agree with Reverend that this is far from as bad as what she's capable of.
Just to add to the list of Sarah's personal baggage: -
Her best friend & flatmate was killed because of her, her Mother was killed to get to her, the only mas she loved (remembering she had bad luck with men before hand) died in her arms, she was routinely abused by hospital staff and add to that all the PTS, shell shock, forced medication, emotional trauma and hardening she's gone through, it's a wonder she doesn't actually BELONG in an institution.

quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Maybe he did. All in all, it seems to have been a pretty rough night for him.

"(snickering) He was from the future too..."

You have to admit though, that Sarah wailing on that guy was pretty in-character. Very reminiscent of the Sylberman incident.

p.s. Rev: where did we hear that he's an 888? All I heard was Cameron say that the mineral hoarder wasn't the same design as Cromartie.

It was on Cameron's HUD when she spotted his head flying into the future with them. Something like "Model T-888 - Mandable intact - CPU active".

Who want to lay odds on how long it takes them to bring in Silberman as a guest character? I presume the actor is still around and working. It'd feel wrong without him, after all, he's the only actor apart from Arnie to be in all three movies.

Here's a thought, how old was Reese supposed to be in 2029? I know originally he grew up in the ruins after judgement day, but that's been delayed a full decade so far. I'm wondering if Skynet knows or deduced he's John's father, in which case will baby Reese become a target for Termination? I nominate Michael Biehn for the part of grandpa Reese!

Getting back to the topic of franchise cameos, there's also the possibility that Kate Brewster might turn up. Either as a properly aged member of the present or as an even older leader of the resistance, commanding the tech-com forces in the past.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Silverman is slated to show up, played by a different actor. Apparently he's now a believer. How could he not be, after all that he's seen?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I've been looking forward to this show for a little while now, and now I've seen eps 2, 3 and 4 it's good so far. Hooked me in a lot better than that Bionic Woman. The fight scenes leave me a little dissapointed though, is the Terminator combat programming just something like this?

Step 1 - Knock enemy Terminator down and/or push them through a wall.

Step 2 Repeat Step 1 and/or run away.

They should use the same kind of choreography and camera work that was in the bathroom fight of Bourne Ultimatum. I think that would work really well in Terminator v Terminator fights, a kind of very visceral and brutal fight, using anything and everything nearby to beat down the other machine, ripping chunks of flesh/hair/limbs off of each other.

Did anyone notice what looked liked Nathan from Heroes when Cromarty is picking a new face? Sure looked like him to me! [Smile]

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know I thought the same thing too.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terminators aren't known for their finesse. Most of the time the job is simple, see target, terminate target, run away. I doubt very much kung-fu programming, while visually exciting would be very efficient for a machine that has a grip like a steel vice, have a jaw made mostly of titanium and can punch clear through a human body, or rip it's head off with one hand. I doubt very much that many humans that found themselves within punching distance of a Terminator were stupid enough to pretend they're in the matrix and the ones that did probably made a very wet sound when they hit the ground.
As for Cyborg on Cyborg fights, I think they made a point in T2 that they're obviously not programmed for that. As I recall there's a moment where both Arnie & Bob Patrick both make the same move at the same time (both having the same combat program) and found them cancelling each other out, hence the reliance on throwing the each other around to buy time for an escape.
Again, perhaps as time goes on and Cameron learns, she'll become more imaginative.

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're basing all the fighting on the two fights from T2 and somewhat also the pipe-fight from T1.

Problem is, the Terminator was slow and idle and just took it when being pummeled by Reese A: to show to the viewer that it was basically invulnerable to blunt trauma (and something more drastic would be needed), and B: because its foot was damaged.

In defense of the Cameron vs Cromartie/Duracell Bunny fights they are actually quicker and nimbler fights than in the mall in T2, much more camera cuts and pans, like in Bourne. They also use more kicks and elbows and such.

So getting hit 3 times before parrying may look stupid for Cameron, but she's following the precedent of the first movie, even though, as mentioned, that end fight scene had plot- and directorial considerations to it.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To a certain extent, conventional hand to hand won't work anyway. You can't punch a terminator in the head to stun or disorient them, or kick one in the nuts. You CAN try to shatter an eye sensor or rip a limb off, but most evidence points to that just not being possible with kung fu moves. What you're left with is simple brute force, and that's what they've been showing so far.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Exactly, you can't concuss, break bones (none to break), inflict pain, restrain (for long) intimidate, exhaust or anything you usually try for in a real fight. In the absence of HEAVY weaponry, all another Terminator can do is slow the opponent down so you can run away.

I'm actually reminded of the first time Reese engaged the original T-800. He got right next to him and unloaded a 12 gauge sawn-off at point blank range, grabbed the target and RUN. He had no illusion that he'd even damage it, just knock it over long enough to slow it down.

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A terminator could maybe break another terminator's arm, bend the elbow the wrong way over its shoulder or something, and the other terminator would have a hard time repairing himself. I don't suppose that will happen though.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the isotope gun? Do you think they'll ever get another one? I thought it was cool.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
A terminator could maybe break another terminator's arm, bend the elbow the wrong way over its shoulder or something, and the other terminator would have a hard time repairing himself. I don't suppose that will happen though.

I seam to recall the Terminator repairing a damaged arm in the first movie. As for one Terminator being able to break another's arm, we know that in the second film he had to use leverage to rip apart his own (already weakened) arm to free himself from the big cog thing, so I doubt it can be done "bare handed". As for the elbows, I'm sure it can go double jointed if it needs to.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was anyone else bothered by the fact that another Terminator's hand got ripped off and left for people to find? I mean, they've been down this rather explosive road before. You'd think they would have paid a little more attention to his missing limb. Come to think of it, what are they going to do with his "corpse"? I didn't see any vats of liquid metal around.

I say this having not seen anything after Cameron yanked his CPU... I was distracted. So maybe they addressed this in the last few minutes.

Cromartie's new identity looks like an alien.

I have a theory about the girl that John tried to talk to at school: What if she's someone important in the future too, either to the Resistance or to SkyNet? What if she's being hunted like John is? In fact, if SkyNet wants her alive, maybe they've got a Terminator protecting her... It'll probably turn out to be something alot less interesting like abuse, though. And John will have to beat her dad up or something.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Nim
Member # 205

He'll just wing him with a .44 and then roll up in a ball and cry. Continuity!
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Strictly speaking it was the CPU that caused the REAL trouble, the arm was just the icing on the cake...and a very good reason not to ask questions like "where did this come from" lest it be answered.

Small point, but it seams a T-888's cranial port is much easier to open than a T-800's. Where before it was held on by a couple of locking cylinders that needed a pneumatic ratchet to undo them, now a flick knife will suffice. I suppose drama is slightly more important than strict technically accuracy. Other than that though, you can once more tell they've done their homework.

Also, am I crazy or is the new wife/girlfriend of Sarah's ex a dead ringer for Linda Hamilton? For a second I thought it might be her twin sister.

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Don't forget, the Turk is still alive somewhere.
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps