Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Ohio Burning (Page 8)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: Ohio Burning
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, it's sometimes very easy to forget that the civil rights movement happened in the US, for all the good it did.

How do they know the skin colour of the applicants? From my hazy memory of filling in my UCAS form (UK university application), I don't think it asked for your skin colour. Or a photo.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

[This message has been edited by PsyLiam (edited April 18, 2001).]

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually they do ask for what you are ie. Caucasion, Asian, Hispanic,...
Right or not they do it.

------------------
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the simple solution to all this is don't be black.

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

-Edward Gibbons, The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The_Tom, it's extremely scary that you counted all of those words ...

There's a difference between Racial Profiling and Affirmative Action. The difference being that Racial Profiling is the continued perpetuation of racism against blacks and hispanics; while Affirmative Action is an attempt to heal the wounds of racism in this country.

Personally, I think Affirmative Action was needed, but it's time has mostly gone (although, I think companies and schools which still practice racism -- Texaco, Bob Jones University -- could still benefit from it). As I understand it, it's been abolished in California already. It's also time to take the "Mark Your Race" off all these forms, and abolish the practice that certain schools (etc.) have of including a photo of yourself.

At the same time, I think it's very short sighted of people to chastise women and minorities for the economic dislocation of white men.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited April 18, 2001).]

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if you are extremely ugly? People are gonna wanna know before they let you in.
Just kidding on that last one.
As for The_Tom I beleive(and hope) that he used MS Word's Word Count for that, instead of counting all the words himself

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Infinity guessed right, I'm afraid.
Reports of my boredom have been greatly exaggerated.

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't that all affirmative action is, racial profiling to attempt to integrate businesses, educational institutions, and the government.

Of course, Ritten, but you have to realize that the system is racist. See, there don't have to be racist PEOPLE in the system for the system to be racist, and thus creating another racist system to combat an existing one is "OK".

JK:

Then we agree that police need to held responsible when they use excessive force.

Of course we do. That is not the issue. The issue is that we don't know whether the officer in this situation did, in fact, use excessive force, all your statements to the contrary notwithstanding. We know nothing, and until we do, we won't know the appropriate remedy.

------------------
"Omega is right."
-Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Affirmative action is under attack. The backlash against meaningful efforts to achieve full citizenship for all Americans that first arose in the early 1970s has been fueled anew by a combustible mix of changing demographics, political exploitation of racial tensions and economic instability. Early contenders in next year's Presidential race have been strident in their criticisms of affirmative action. Voters in California will probably confront a ballot initiative in 1996 to repeal all affirmative action laws in that state. And even the United States Supreme Court, formerly the principal architect of this legal remedy for discrimination, has issued decisions in recent years that diminish its role in correcting the pervasive underrepresentation of women and people of color in many spheres of education and the world of work.

Nevertheless, opinion surveys show that most Americans still support the goal of equal opportunity in employment and education. A recent Gallup poll showed that 73 percent of Americans approve of companies making conscientious efforts to identify and recruit qualified women and people of color. Clearly, then, during the years that we have lived with affirmative action, we have learned its lessons. Most Americans now understand that discrimination is wrong. All people deserve equal access to the means of fulfilling their potential, and equal opportunity to be judged solely on their abilities and on "the content of their character."

Affirmative action is not a "quota" system, not "preferential treatment," not a club for bludgeoning employers and educational institutions into accepting unqualified workers and students. It's a strategy for curing what ails our society's institutions, which are still plagued with discriminatory attitudes and practices that exclude millions of qualified and deserving people from the American mainstream. Affirmative action is an instrument of inclusion, a means of bringing all Americans into society's mainstream as equal competitors in the race of life.

Affirmative action is still needed. Although women and people of color have come a long way in the decades since the Civil Rights Act was passed, discrimination persists. In 1991, President Bush and Congress appointed a 21-member Federal Glass Ceiling Commission to identify barriers that block the advancement of women and people of color into decision making positions. In March, the commission reported back: "Today's American labor force is gender and race segregated -- white men fill most top management positions in corporations."

Affirmative action does not penalize white males. Fairness requires ending biased practices, not perpetuating them, and that includes ending the unjust advantages traditionally enjoyed by whites and white men. The conscientious effort to hire or admit women and people of color is a way for employers and schools to break their habit of favoring whites and males, and a way to facilitate the transition to nondiscriminatory practices. Restructuring a discriminatory status quo to create a nondiscriminatory environment isn't "reverse discrimination," but it may feel that way because something is being lost: White people are losing the favoritism they so long enjoyed in a system that discriminated on the basis of color and sex.

--The ACLU

A few years old. But I think it makes a good point. Awww, we're poor white males. Awww, we don't get everything as easily as we used to. Let's scream about racism and throw a fit.

::sigh::

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited April 19, 2001).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's postulate a high-stakes, very competitive game. For humor's sake, let's call it Gonzo Wizzard Game. It requires skill, planning, and coordination.

Let's assume that if you've been playing hard, for a long time, and are especially talented at it, you become a Gonzo Wizzard Game Master. And there's a limited number of Gonzo Wizzard Game Master spots available.

If every (or almost every) Gonzo Wizzard Game Master was left handed, would we assume that the Gonzo Wizzard Gamer's Association was prejudiced against right-handers, or would we assume that left-handers tend to be BETTER Gonzo Wizzard Game players?

And suppose someone then created "new Rules" to "force" the promotion to Gonzo Wizzard Game Master of some right-handed players, whether or not they are as qualified as the left-handed Gonzo Wizzard Game Masters.

Would that increase or decrease the quality of the game? And is it entirely unreasonable to assume that the left-handed players would see something wrong about that? And would that solution REALLY serve to improve the playing skills of the right-handers?

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited April 19, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Ah. So, since Texaco's upper management were all white male, one might assume that only white males were suited for the position? Even though I remember a scandal where racism was shown to be employed by Texaco's high-ups to promote whites and keep blacks "in their place." Remember that? Just a couple of years ago that was. Pretending racism in the workplace doesn't exist is ... well, imaginative.

"Awww ... I'm a white male. Society wants to make blacks and hispanics and women equal to me. Boo-hoo."

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, no, they're already equal, by virtue of their creation. Society (or rather, the liberals that think that they're mainstream) wants to make them superior. Unacceptable.

------------------
"Omega is right."
-Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

No, no, they're already equal, by virtue of their creation. Society (or rather, the liberals that think that they're mainstream) wants to make them superior. Unacceptable.

That is the stupidest, most ignorant -- most racist -- remark I've ever heard.

Equal by creation? Gee, now, if racism didn't exist, that would be a valid response. You ignore basic human nature, you also ignore the fact that blacks didn't gain their civil rights by vitue of God "creating" them. Do you ignore slavery, now? Social liberals in government (JFK & LBJ lead among them) fought for those rights. Liberals in the community -- Martin Luther King, jr., lead among them -- fought for those rights.

You think the system of segregation in the South would be gone now if NOT for the intervention of the government to ensure that it ended? You think U. Miss's medical school would've admitted certain black students if not for Government intervention? Maybe you remember when US Marshalls stood armed guard to protect a black student against whom U. Miss had REFUSED to admit based on the color of his skin.

Interesting, isn't it? For centuries, white males have been superior throughout the world. This country fought a civil war to begin to change that. But it wasn't until the 1960's that true change began. And now that the white male is no longer quite so superior, who is that cries that they are being surpressed? Why, the white male. Intriguing, is it not? No longer king of the hill, no longer looking only to other white males to provide competition, but also to blacks, Hispanics, Asians, and women!

Why do you cry so loudly about equality, Omega? 'Fraid you won't get a job when you graduate college?

Affirmative Action did what it was supposed to. It's pushed assimilation of minorities within the workplace. Is it time for it to go? Leave that up to the individual states.

But to pretend that it wasn't needed is ludicrious.

Are rights equal? In law, yes. In practice? Not yet. But we're a hell of a lot closer. And it hasn't been thanks to fundies like you.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You shouldn't blame Omega, it's not his fault he's that way. Infact most people like being that way, it makes them feel secure and superior. Just because they are being mean to everyone else thorough their actions and statements, that doesn't mean that they will stop, or that they WANT to stop.

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

::shrug::

Quite true. But when Omega wants to hold on to insane views, I feel obligated to point them out to him.

Honestly, the guy must've ignored all of American history to believe people have been treated equally irregardless of skin color! Did he forget slavery, segregation? Equal rights didn't just appear when people were born, they were fought for. And now that they've been won ...

Well, let's make sure they don't get lost again.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it could be easily argued that the "Rich White Boys" in power GAVE the rights away because it was inconvenient to fight a war on two fronts (Vietnam and at home.) Really, they didn't have to. It wasn't out of altruism that they did it. It was political expedience.

FORTUNATE expedience, since to go the other way WOULD have been to deny everything that the US stood for, and since without it, such a war might very well have happened. If it hadn't been for Vietnam, it might have turned out differently. In the US's fear of the 'Red Menace' it had already begun a slide in that direction.

It's interesting when we talk about 'superior' and 'inferior,' since they're such subjective terms.

Certainly, most other cultures would be GLAD to have our problems, don't you think?

I mean, this could be Rwanda. Or the Congo. Or Albania. Or Tibet. Or Afghanistan. Or Kashmir.

You know, it WAS dead white males who came UP with 'all men are created equal' as a workable concept, even if we DO have some problems keeping it an ideal. Everywhere the idea sprang up since, it has done so because of OUR influence, and the last time it was tried before here was ancient Greece.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps