Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Mark's Ultimate Trek Project (Page 10)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16   
Author Topic: Mark's Ultimate Trek Project
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
USS Tsien. After Tsien Hsue-shen, a chinese rocket scientist who worked for JPL, kicked out of the country for being a communist in the 50's.
I think Arther C Clark named a ship after him in the novel for 2010.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arthur did. The Tsien in 2010 was the first ship to land on Europa, beating the Leonov by burning all their fuel to achieve a much higher speed, and banking on finding water on Europa to hyrdrolyze into fuel for the trip home. Unfortuantely, after landing the Tsien was dry-humped to death by a giant horny lichen.

And the Excelsior is getting painted now. We're also scripting a second teaser involving this model and the work of a new contributor who will be handling certain VFX. The new teaser will involve some recorded dialogue that will help describe the tone of the overall piece, and how the story will basically be "re-created" from audio clips and black box recordings from the battle, the starships, escape pod distres calls, etc. Ought to be a lot of fun.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
USS Kumari to continue the lineage of Shran's old ship (hey, they should reflect the whole of Starfleet- not just earth!).

Agreed. While I was always conscious over the years to make my shiplist reflect all of Earth & not just the Anglo cultures, in recent months I've been rethreading it with alien influences as well. You'd be surprised how easy it is to come up with "alien-sounding" names. Some of the ones from Earth sound it at times.

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Arthur did. The Tsien in 2010 was the first ship to land on Europa, beating the Leonov by burning all their fuel to achieve a much higher speed, and banking on finding water on Europa to hyrdrolyze into fuel for the trip home. Unfortuantely, after landing the Tsien was dry-humped to death by a giant horny lichen.

And then was dismantled by the Europans, revered by Sir Lawrence Tsung, & honored by the Chinese crew of Galaxy when she was crashed there.

Also, 52043? Interesting.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. Per the first page or so, we intend to both keep and explain the presence of both Melbournes at the battle. It's always bugged me that the Excelsior Melbourne was just flying at the cube and not bothering to fire. We've scripted a reason, and in fact a whole plot point around it. In involves Klingons. [Smile]

Timo suggested 52043 also on the first page or so, and while we haven't officially asked permission yet, we'd like to use it. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
USS Mikoyan - do I really need to explain this one?!?

B.J.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Yep. [Smile] After all, you could be talking about the man, the machine, or the company!

[Though the second someone suggests a USS Microsoft, I'm gonna punch you in the neck.]

Hey, anyone know of a really, REALLY detailed look at the TMP-movie style shipboard phaser turrety things? I can't find one online for the life of me - and I gotta show Karl how they're not just little bumps in yellow rectangles. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These might help you, Mark, as well as this shot.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My picks would be Volition, or if that's too harsh sounding, Resolution.

I've used those names in some of my artwork, just because they have a noble air about them, and I like how they sound.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The USS Auschwitz? Jesus Christ.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or anyway it doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Well, we DO have a USS Tian An Men, named for the 1989 slaughter. If THAT could make it...

Mark

--------------------

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you need names for some of those extra Excelsiors anyway, you could have one of them be the USS Righteous (NCC-42451) from the Star Trek Borg game. The ship was under attack and destroyed at Wolf 359, although it was resurrected by Q if you completed the game, that's not important. It's a good name and the game wasn't bad either.

--------------------

Shik
Member # 343

Tiananmen Square was around long before 1989.

This reminds me of the ruckus some made when I mention I gave a Galaxy the name Diana, Princess Of Wales.

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
The USS Auschwitz? Jesus Christ.

And yet only one of those names I wrote was not a death camp.....

The Tian An Men, Redemption Part II, aired 1991, was named in honor of the slaughtered people at the square, so how would Nazi death camps be any different if being named after places where people were slaughtered?

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Johnny
Member # 878

quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
This reminds me of the ruckus some made when I mention I gave a Galaxy the name Diana, Princess Of Wales.

I wouldn't bother causing a ruckus over it, but it does make me feel slightly queasy.

Then again, that's probably because in London the only thing to be named after her was a disastrous circle of concrete that had to be closed because people didn't realise wet things were sometimes slippery.

--------------------

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps