Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ As the Tech In the Hourglass... ["Zero Hour" Spoilers] (Page 12)

This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  17  18  19   
Author Topic: $$ As the Tech In the Hourglass... ["Zero Hour" Spoilers]
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Boh:
yeah, and in ST:4 they ended up in the past [Wink]

Anyway, the Intrepid and compangy might not have stable enough warp drive to do in system warp

Or not.

It is, afterall, exactly what Cochrane did in the very first warp flight with the Phoenix...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*still thinks it might be the mirror universe*

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
quote:
yeah, and in ST:4 they ended up in the past [Wink]

Anyway, the Intrepid and compangy might not have stable enough warp drive to do in system warp

Or not.

It is, afterall, exactly what Cochrane did in the very first warp flight with the Phoenix...

Well, he didn't exactly have alot of past experience to tell him that it was a bad idea

Yes, I admit they do it in Star Trek all the time, but I usually considder that writers forgetting than considdering the rule to be bull. Otherwise, why make the rule in the first place

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, he didn't exactly have alot of past experience to tell him that it was a bad idea

He had, however, two experienced Stafleet officers as his co-pilots. [Smile]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But it had to happen in system, or else the Vulcans wouldn't have seen him, and he couldn't have gotten out of system very fast in the Phoenix, now could he?

(And they knew he'd get lucky) [Wink]

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prehaps its ok to warp OUT of a system away from a star, but not INTO a system twords a star. Maybe some kind of gravitic/subspace technobabble bow-shock from the warp field will cause the star to flare or somthing.

Hmmmm....

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As to TMP's line "We must now risk engage warp drive while still within the solar system." Don't forget that those were new engines never even tested at warp power. This implies that for safety's sake such untested engines are usually tested far away from habitable planets and probably the gravitational effects of stars and their planetary bodies, because that would cut down the number of forces that could affect your testing. That's what I always assumed Kirk meant by the line, anyway.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Neutrino 123
Member # 1327

- posted      Profile for Neutrino 123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by deadcujo:
Flawed? It's an episode with an alien Nazi on a show with a space dog, a linguist who can decipher languages in mere seconds, and diverse aliens who happen to have the same rats we do on hand for their feedings. This isn't exactly a documentary.

Yes, yes. Thats the irony of my statement. [Wink] I actually liked the episode (though I still don't know what to make of the last five minutes). Hmmmm, maybe I need to use more smilies...

--------------------
Neutrino 123 (pronounced Neutrino One-Two-Three)

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IT IS GOOD IT IS NOT PRONOUNCED "NEUTRINO GOD-HELP-US-ALL"
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Internet is no place for irony.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe someone just ripped off MrNeutrons name.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Neutrino 123
Member # 1327

- posted      Profile for Neutrino 123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
I believe someone just ripped off MrNeutrons name.

What?! You dare question the originality of my name? I have documents to show that I have been using that name from several years ago!!! I'll also have you note that the neutrino and the neutron are completly different subatomic particles. Each of the grand neutrinos is a 'fundemental' particle [Cool] while a puny neutron is a jumbled mess of quarks.

--------------------

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's fundamental till we discover a smaller particle.

[Razz] (j/k, I know that currently it's fairly certain that it's fundamental. But then, 150 years ago, it was thought that the atom was fundamental...)

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Neutrino 123
Member # 1327

I have heard of a theory that has signifigant substructure to fundemental particles (I think it was mentioned in The Elegent Universe-a book which I recommend [Smile] ), but most physicists would definatly agree that today's fundemental particles are in fact fundemental. String theory agrees with this, and it offers tantalizing hints to be the Theory of Everything...

quote:
Originally posted by worffan1990:
IT IS GOOD IT IS NOT PRONOUNCED "NEUTRINO GOD-HELP-US-ALL"

Does this somehow imply that I'm not insane? It better not...

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you tachyon about Willis?!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  17  18  19   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps