Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ As the Tech In the Hourglass... ["Zero Hour" Spoilers] (Page 15)

This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19   
Author Topic: $$ As the Tech In the Hourglass... ["Zero Hour" Spoilers]
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not really.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Side note: his wet ears are kind of creepy.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Neutrino 123
Member # 1327

- posted      Profile for Neutrino 123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
The dude looks like a Reman!

No he doesn't. He is a different color and has more ridges then the Reman. The eye is different too.

--------------------
Neutrino 123 (pronounced Neutrino One-Two-Three)

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"TPTB threw this cliffhanger onto Zero Hour but at the time had no explanation for it (i.e. they're going to worry about it when production for season four starts)."

Oh, that's comforting.

Of course, they had the same situation with "Best of Both Worlds" in that they didn't have an ending written before the first part was produced.

Or so I'm told.

B.J.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's typically how cliffhangers are written. You don't write the ending until later.

The trouble with this approach, naturally, is that often you can write yourself into a corner without a good way to get out of it.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's a difference, I think, between "Picard is going to get assimilated by the Borg, and the crew has to rescue him, and... we're not quite sure yet how they're going to win" and "hey, let's stick an alien in a Nazi uniform, and... well, we'll think of something to do with him".
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Yes, but 99% of all alien dudes on Trek look like humans, and we're all sick of those. Now, for once, one doesn't, and you're STILL dissatisfied. Some people... B)

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Neutrino 123:
quote:

No he doesn't. He is a different color and has more ridges then the Reman. The eye is different too.
So the TV-Reman looks a little different than the movie Reman? Westmore said (in the Making of show of Nemesis) that the ears and the upper skin layer were hard to do, and I guess that's just not possible on a TV-budget. Even if it would be silly to put a Reman there, Westmore's people clearly had the intention to make his next appearance both the first contact with another new species or the first contact with the Remans. Finally it's up to the writere whether they start off with the Romulans or if they do something different.

And we shouldn't be narrow-minded when it comes to changes of appearances. Every important race in the universe did have such a change.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ever heard of Occam's Razor? It would leave your theory a bloody mess [Razz]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, why are people so obsessed with proving that this guy must be a Reman? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TNG Trill v. DS9 Trill

Klingons grew foreheads in 100 years...
Romulans grew enlarged brows much the same...

Pre-mid-22nd Century Remans could have changed dramatically by the late-24th Century.

If they indeed are related to the Romulans and Vulcans (which hasn't been proven or disproven, but it makes sense that they might have) would one not assume they "offshot" from the Romulans who in turn "offshot" from the Vulcans? Look at the difference between the Romulans and Remans and the direction their respective evolutions took.

Now consider what the Remans might have looked like...300, possibly 500 years ago. Blue Team Nazi there might be our answer.

[ June 04, 2004, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Futurama Guy ]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Neutrino 123
Member # 1327

- posted      Profile for Neutrino 123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...so the alien must be a Romulan! The Romulans must just have lost their ridges between Enterprise and TOS... [Big Grin]

I say the Klingons don't count and the Romulan change is small (similar to Worf's change from TNG to DS9). I don't remember any TNG Trill, though.

The two pictures in question may first strike one as similar, but just look at the ridges individually (such as the one below the chin) and you will see the change is too big for them to be the same.

--------------------
Neutrino 123 (pronounced Neutrino One-Two-Three)

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you again...

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, a couple of points:

- I would consider it exceedingly moronic of them to introduce a new and apparently important species whose appearance could so easily be mistaken for that of a Reman. (Even if only at first glance, since the alien was only seen in one brief shot.)

- The differences between the two makeup jobs are slight and subtle, and are easily attributable to Westmore refining the Reman design so as to make it more practical for use on a weekly series budget/schedule.

- The changes between TOS Klingons and Romulans and their later movie/TNG counterparts have always been intended to be "non-changes" from a production standpoint. (Meaning, they "always" looked like that. The only reason they didn't appear that way on TOS was because they didn't have the makeup budget/technology to do it.)

- Remans are not genetically related to the Romulans or Vulcans. The implication from Nemesis is that they were an indigenous race that was conquered by the Romulans when they migrated to their system. And evolution doesn't occur on the scale of centuries, it takes millions of years. The small amount of genetic drift between the Vulcans and Romulans apparently occurred within millennia, but then again it could have its roots much further in the past. (i.e., there could have been a genetic/racial split before the Romulans even left Vulcan.)

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

However, evolution only takes several thousand years, not millions...considering the Earth is barely "millions" of years old...besides look how much dogs have changed in only a couple thousand years of domestication and breeding, and we all know that Remans are the Romulans 'dogs'. [Wink]

...and it was acknowledged that the Klingons did change... [Big Grin]

...and dude, I was trying to defend your observations, with the logic of costume changes from the past... [Roll Eyes]

[ June 04, 2004, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: Futurama Guy ]

--------------------

This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps